Go Back   AC3D Forums > Resources > AC3D Tutorials and How-To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd November 2012, 05:19 PM   #1
blackjak
Advanced member

Default Comparable programs for learning

This is the program of my choice, but there isn't a lot of good learning material out there.

There are plenty of resources, books etc for other more well known programs, 3ds, Maya, Blender etc.

I do have quite a lot of reading time at work when I can't be near my PC.

If I got some books etc for other programs, which one's would translate better to AC3D?
blackjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2012, 01:04 AM   #2
blackjak
Advanced member

Default Re: Comparable programs for learning

Hmm, guess I need to elaborate. I'm looking for books to study as I have considerable time for that when I am away from my computer. Most books are program specific, although they may contain general 3d modeling info as well, which is what I am looking for.

Does any one of the popular programs translate better to AC3D than the others?

I've searched high and low for platform independent modeling books and there isn't a lot out there.

Since there is no "AC3D for beginners" book available, which book would be more valuable if you were planning on using AC3D in the end? ie: "3DS for beginners" or "Maya for beginners" or "Blender for beginners" etc?

Anyone have an opinion on this?
Old 25th November 2012, 07:16 PM   #3
Noob
Advanced member

Maybe try a book for an old version of 3d studio max (like version 3)? Of the three listed, I think it's the closest to ac3d in terms of how you would go about modeling something. With 3d modeling what you really need to learn are techniques, not programs.

I suppose you could also read through ac3d's manual, it should cover just about everything ac3d has to offer.
Noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2012, 07:20 PM   #4
jentron
Professional user

I am hesitant to reply, because I am far from an expert on 3d programs, but... I grew up modeling in early Cinema4D, then had access to 3DS for awhile. The AC3D interface felt very comfortable to me from the first time I used it. Blender is still very foreign feeling, and I have to reach for a tutorial to even open files in it.

Given that AC3D aims strictly to be a modeler, a lot of those programs' functionality does not exist here so, look for a 3DS modeling or texturing centered book. Or possibly C4D, but I haven't seen a version of that program since the Amiga died in 1999 or so.

Ron
jentron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2012, 09:47 PM   #5
blackjak
Advanced member

Thanks guys and yes techniques are what I need to learn.

I have a couple of books that aren't program specific and am looking for more, or at least program specific books that have a lot of technique in them but won't confuse me too much from the AC3D interface.

I actually put the AC3D manual pdf on my kindle and am reading it over and over. I'll probably have it memorized soon. LOL.