Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D Work In Progress / Showcase
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th May 2007, 08:33 PM   #1
dropstitch

Default A work in progress..

For the past few months (yes, months!) I've been designing a model in 3DS max of the BC303 DAEDALUS from the Stargate SG1/Atlantis universe. Since using AC3D my progress has shot up, I've managed to get things done a heck of a lot quicker and easier through techniques that AC3D makes simple by nature.

Anyway, this is a little piece I put together of the Daedalus in it's texture-less stage after having a complete re-fit from it's old 3DS-designed antennae and landing struts, both of which I used AC3D to design and add to the overall piece.

Hope you like my progress so far, all comments are welcome

dropstitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2007, 09:43 PM   #2
nightoftheroundtable
Professional user

Default Re: A work in progress..

Looks pretty good. How ever I am a big sceptic I know your new and all dont take this the wrong way. But how long did it actually take you to make it what did you use for a reference picture?

add this to your signature if you are a thinker.

Quote from me Daniel Reed a.k.a "nightoftheroundtable"
nightoftheroundtable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2007, 02:50 AM   #3
Dennis
Professional user

Very nice stuff Carl. AC3D *does* have a very nice workflow and a powerful toolset for such an affordable modeler. I wouldn't trade it for any modeler on the market.

I take it you're satisfied enough to use AC3D for future models? If so, I, for one, look forward to seeing more.

Dennis
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2007, 10:36 AM   #4
little_penguin
Expert member

nice work
little_penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2007, 11:55 AM   #5
frimi
Expert member

I like it. It looks very good
Old 8th May 2007, 02:16 PM   #6
dropstitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightoftheroundtable View Post
Looks pretty good. How ever I am a big sceptic I know your new and all dont take this the wrong way. But how long did it actually take you to make it what did you use for a reference picture?
Thanks for the comment, sorry I didn't clear it up initially.

Basicly, I sketched out the basic body-frame and shell on paper, then mapped out just about anything from rounded edges to extrusions on it. I then used 3DS Max to create the basic shell of all the pieces from the left and right hangar bays to the engines. This took about a month and a half in between work and commitments! - I then discovered AC3D and used it to add in the hull details, antennae and other stuff.. and discovered I could do it much quicker because of how simplistic the interface is and how easy to use it makes everything.

After adding in the detail, I welded most of the larger parts together but kept it overly broken up to allow for radical changes. I used stills from the show Atlantis to get the scale of everything, then added in most of the details different from the main show's version to make it more unique. Overall taking about four months to get about 60% of the way there, now I'll sort out all my scaled textures in Photoshop and CorelDraw and start to add them in.
Old 8th May 2007, 05:01 PM   #7
tbd
Professional user

Very nice work indeed. Here in Norway the first season is just over. So we are a bit behind on the Daedalus. Season two, episode one are this Friday, and I got to see what happens next But as Dennis said, more please
tbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2007, 11:49 AM   #8
nightoftheroundtable
Professional user

okay thanks for clearing it up mate. Looks awsome as everyone else stated. More updates please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropstitch View Post
Thanks for the comment, sorry I didn't clear it up initially.

Basicly, I sketched out the basic body-frame and shell on paper, then mapped out just about anything from rounded edges to extrusions on it. I then used 3DS Max to create the basic shell of all the pieces from the left and right hangar bays to the engines. This took about a month and a half in between work and commitments! - I then discovered AC3D and used it to add in the hull details, antennae and other stuff.. and discovered I could do it much quicker because of how simplistic the interface is and how easy to use it makes everything.

After adding in the detail, I welded most of the larger parts together but kept it overly broken up to allow for radical changes. I used stills from the show Atlantis to get the scale of everything, then added in most of the details different from the main show's version to make it more unique. Overall taking about four months to get about 60% of the way there, now I'll sort out all my scaled textures in Photoshop and CorelDraw and start to add them in.

add this to your signature if you are a thinker.

Quote from me Daniel Reed a.k.a "nightoftheroundtable"
nightoftheroundtable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2007, 08:59 AM   #9
DRAKELOT
Professional user

Fantastic modeling
DRAKELOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2007, 10:48 AM   #10
dropstitch

Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated

Haven't had that much time to work on it this last week, but I've been fooling around with different texture levels and what you can acheive with different resolution textures on various parts of the hull. Ac3d is starting to make it look a heck of a lot better, and I'm getting there. Just mapping out texture points and layers at the moment, I would've loved to add in bump maps but so far I haven't seen that in Ac3d, maybe in the future?

Anyway, here's a rough image of the basic texture colours and work..