Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 18th January 2004, 09:42 AM   #1
titchStewart
Advanced member

Default How do you link two vertexs todether...

...so that a line is draw bewteen the 2?

Basically I want to be able to select any 2 on any object and draw a line between them.

Is this possible? and if so how?

Cheers,

Titch
titchStewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2004, 12:50 PM   #2
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Default Re: How do you link two vertexs todether...

No problem - Select the two vertices and use Vertex->create ordered surface. Then set the new surface to be a line by pressing 'Line' button near the bottom of the control panel.

Or you could use nearsnap and create a new line across two exisiting vertices (although this will make new vertices too).

Andy
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2004, 01:51 PM   #3
titchStewart
Advanced member

Andy,

I created two rectangles and selected a vertex on each and did as you suggested. It came up with:

"Create surface: all vertices were not in the same object so a new object with a single surface was created".

It's now drawn a light blue line between the 2 vertices in the 3D view but not in the other views?

If I do the same thing on vertices which are in the same object then I get the light blue line again.

What is this and why don't I get a white line?

Also is it possible to change the default colour of line in an object from white?

Thanks for your help,

Titch
titchStewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2004, 02:54 PM   #4
Laurifer

I tried to do this to divide a cube in two, but it just drew a line... how do I get it to actually make two surfaces that I could edit or change?

-Laurifer
Laurifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2004, 03:38 PM   #5
mconn1
Expert member

Hey TitchStewart,

I tried what you did and replicated the blue line.

It seems the blue line is the proposed object that will be put in place. Once you click on the line button on the bottom of the control panel the line will turn white. The blue line has to have the green selection box around it in order to use the line button.
mconn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2004, 04:56 PM   #6
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Yes, a blue line indicates a polygon surface which only has two vertices i.e. a bad polygon (since 3 vertices is the minimum for a correct polygon surface). Setting the surface type to Line makes this new surface a two vertex line, which is OK.

Andy
Old 18th January 2004, 05:01 PM   #7
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurifer
I tried to do this to divide a cube in two, but it just drew a line... how do I get it to actually make two surfaces that I could edit or change?

-Laurifer
It depends on what exactly you want to make but, you could:

1) extrude a rectangle with segments set to 2.
2) extrude a single surface away from the side of a cube.
3) select a cube and Surface->divide to create new vertices and surfaces
4) create two cubes next to each other

you can do the same thing quite a few ways.

What sort of shape are you making?

Andy
Old 19th January 2004, 11:45 AM   #8
Laurifer

It's about the human I am learning to make. I have the torso, arms, and head all in one piece. I made it just by extruding surfaces and stretching them to the shape they need to be. Now it says to make a division line down the middle, the kind of line where you could cut the model in half. Then I have to make another line down the middle of the half. I tried using the Divide command and then the Combine to get rid of unwanted surfaces, but is there any other way to make just the division lines I want? Plus, I have to make a line on the lower part of the torso so I can bend a piece of it back to look like the hips.

-Laurifer
Laurifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2004, 01:46 PM   #9
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Extrude can be used to insert extra surfaces - like a kind of 'cut tool'.

Select all the vertices on one side (they must be all vertices, not just the ones down the centre) and extrude to add surfaces in the middle.

Andy
Old 19th January 2004, 03:46 PM   #10
Cowboybebop
Professional user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurifer
It's about the human I am learning to make. I have the torso, arms, and head all in one piece. I made it just by extruding surfaces and stretching them to the shape they need to be. Now it says to make a division line down the middle, the kind of line where you could cut the model in half. Then I have to make another line down the middle of the half. I tried using the Divide command and then the Combine to get rid of unwanted surfaces, but is there any other way to make just the division lines I want? Plus, I have to make a line on the lower part of the torso so I can bend a piece of it back to look like the hips.

-Laurifer
I am also roughing out a character It's been very difficult as I've had to divide each surface and then clean it up but combining surfaces, snapping vertices, and deleting unneeded vertices. It's probably not the best way to do it but it's the only way I know how to do it. Yet I am a amatuer so maybe some others more experienced will step up with a technique.

So far the body is done and looks ok for my first attempt the feet are just roughed out, no hands yet and the head although it has eyes isn't complete. I wish I worked on it more, I roughly work on it maybe 2 days out of 3 weeks just about a couple hours a day I get pulled away to much to tell. I also rotate models a lot as the inspiration comes and goes to finish it.

I admire the work of the greatest Modeler of them all, God.
Cowboybebop is offline   Reply With Quote