Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 29th May 2006, 02:08 PM   #11
wsimike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
I'm sure it's Extrude that you want.
I'd start with a cylinder and extrude the bottom a few times to break up the surfaces into a 'grid' of squares.

Select surfaces in your pattern and select extrude. Make sure the settings for extrude are on,off,on and just click the bounding box to perform the extrude in place. Hold down the control key and drag a corner handle to scale the new surfaces outwards. Scale top to botton (middle handle +control) to reduce the height of the new extrusions.

I suspect a lot of the shape on the pics is really the texture and the model is probably not actually very detailed.
Yeah, one thing SE's brilliant at is texture detail. FFXI has a relatively limited game engine, since it had to work within the static limitations of a PS2. Regardless, they've created some amazing looking things for that game. And it gets better as they learn the t ech. more.

I'll give those approaches a go and see what works best.

Thanks for the tips!
wsimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2006, 04:32 PM   #12
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightoftheroundtable
ooh okay. hey andy I know this is off topic but have you taken a look at my finished projects they can be found in the wip section. my two projects are the stormhawk and W.A.S.P
Absolutely. I'm pleased to see the subdivision being used nicely. The recent models are great - looking forward to more!
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2006, 04:49 PM   #13
nightoftheroundtable
Professional user

thank you Andy. I am so glad to hear that my time and effort into those projects have not been a waste of effort I am making more projects through subdivison.

btw I actually enjoy making models through subdivide. Note I also use the bevel tool indent and the extruding tool when it came to making those. I'm getting more models textured and will be posting more
nightoftheroundtable is offline   Reply With Quote