Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 16th April 2009, 10:33 PM   #1
keres

Default Give a * About Games INIVIS!

AC3d has an intense lack of support for game model formats, both import and export. Formats such as md2/md3/md4 for quake series or SMD/MDL for Source engine games. Milkshape 3d completely dominates you because of this and no doubt receives an exceptionally greater amount of business because of it.

The gaming community between these two games are HUGE, i mean HUGE. Take a look at all the mod communities, UrbanTerror has over 2000+ players, Valve games literally have hundreds of thousands if not millions of players between the huge selection of games from Valve software including Left4Dead, Counterstrike:Source, Day of Defeat: Source, Insurgency, Zombie mod, Garry's mod, and so forth. A fraction of those players make maps, and thus need models to populate them. Ac3d can't do that.

Inivis, your program blows MS3d out of the water as far as the actual modeling goes, but there is no point at all in even buying - in addition to paying $50 or so more - if you aren't willing to provide the tools necessary for it to even work well.

I'm looking at either buying MS3d or AC3d. It seems i have no choice but to buy MS3d. Inivis, what say you? Why should i buy your product?

Last edited by Andy; 17th April 2009 at 07:04 AM.
keres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2009, 07:10 AM   #2
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Default Re: Give a * About Games INIVIS!

(Please moderate your language - we have users of all ages.)

Many Milkshape users have AC3D, which they use for modeling. Models are then imported into Milkshape and exported into the desired format.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2009, 10:35 PM   #3
keres

sorry, didn't mean to offend

but why? currently ac3d costs $79.95 and ms3d costs $35 dollars. That doesn't seem very orthodox of a company to recommend their competitor's product to perform one of the most essential parts of what a good 3d package should.

Why not just write plugins for it? it's jam-packed full of nice things already, and easy to use.

I'm just telling you, you'd probably see a significant boost in sales from the gaming industry if you spent a month making md3/4 and mdl/smd plugins.
Old 19th April 2009, 05:34 AM   #4
mooseberry
Professional user

Personally I would love to see an included .md3 export. Would make my job a whole lot easier.

Haha...
mooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2009, 04:54 PM   #5
keres

Righteous

At the moment, the easiest way to produce md3's with ac3d to hack around in nPherno's standalone compiler. I think SMD is used for a _huge_ variety of games.

Also, a normal map generator would freaking absolutely rock. Blender, 3dsmax, maya, and xsi all have one whether it is a plugin or shipped with it.
Old 20th April 2009, 12:52 PM   #6
Toronto
Professional user

Keres,
Isn't this plugin what you are looking for ?
(Lisa's Normal Mapper plugin)

http://www.inivis.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4571
Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 04:57 PM   #7
keres

Nice! thank you so much. We just need an smd/md3 importer/exporter, and this program will be completely ideal for games.