Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 24th November 2010, 09:15 AM   #1
Hans_Petter
Advanced member

Default Imperfect mirroring

I'm in the process of creating a fuselage structure. Since there's lateral symmetry I can work on one side and mirror the result to obtain the other. Actually, I've sliced the model several times during the process, discarded the right side and replaced it with a mirrored version of the left side. In theory this should ensure perfect symmetry. It does....almost. I've found that some problem areas tend to get slightly messed up and I may get unwanted vertices / surfaces along the joining edges. Evidently, the slicing of a model will cause the creation of new vertices but I would expect them to match up perfectly. Recently I've decided to leave a slot between the two sides so that I can slice the model without cutting into any surfaces. When it's finished I'll join the edges by creating new surfaces to bridge that narrow gap.

To get rid of unwanted vertices I've tried the snap to distance feature. However, it may not work the way I think. What I want is to get rid of overlapping vertices--those defining surfaces that seem to be interconnected while they're really not. You'll know the moment you move a vertex and the surface slides away from the adjacent surface. I want all surfaces to become and stay interconnected. Is there any easy way to accomplish this? In other words, rather than snapping vertices to the exact same location I want to join or weld overlapping vertices.
Hans_Petter is offline   Reply With Quote