Go Back   AC3D Forums > Meeting places > AC3D and X-Plane
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 9th April 2011, 08:35 AM   #1
Paolo
Expert member

Default Problem with Ac3d 6715 and XPlane 967

hi,
I'm having an unusual problem with Ac3d 6715 and OBJ8 Import/Export Plugin 3.2.1-r2 - by Ben Supnik. I use a MacPro Quad with OSX 1067 and XPlane 967.
Here is the problem: I have built a cockpit for an aircraft. When exporting, the .ac file it loses all the connections with the panel. On the other side, the original cockpit.obj (taken from a previous version built with XP952) works perfectly. I've made a lot of tests: among them, using XP 952 and re-exporting the file, but everything was useless: even with its original version of XP the cockpit obj does not work. The plugins folder contains the right dataref and commands file.
I'm not a new user of Ac3d and XP and this is the first time I experience a problem like this. I don't know what to do. Can you help?
Here is the link to the cockpit.ac file and its texture:
https://files.me.com/paolo41/udoqbc
Waiting for an answer, thanks
Paolo Matricardi (MD0899@mclink.it)
Old 9th April 2011, 05:12 PM   #2
captainpeter
Professional user

Default Re: Problem with Ac3d 6715 and XPlane 967

Hi Paolo!

You have named objects & groups improperly. A group containing an animation needs to be named 'Animation', an object containing an animations parameters must be named e.g. 'rotation' or 'translation'.

Only then the exporter will write the proper code into the obj file.

Let me know if you need any further help regarding the proper order of groups/objects in the ac file to get the leanest x-plane object.

cheers
Peter
captainpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2011, 03:17 AM   #3
Paolo
Expert member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpeter View Post
Hi Paolo!

You have named objects & groups improperly. A group containing an animation needs to be named 'Animation', an object containing an animations parameters must be named e.g. 'rotation' or 'translation'.

Only then the exporter will write the proper code into the obj file.

Let me know if you need any further help regarding the proper order of groups/objects in the ac file to get the leanest x-plane object.

cheers
Peter
Ciao Peter,
I imagine that your comment has been made after seeing the .ac file I've attached. The only difference is that the animation groups are named with their function after the word 'animation' and that the words 'rotate' and 'translate' are set by default by ac3d.
Nevertheless I've made the changes that you've suggested (changing the names of the animation groups and the ones of the objects containing the animation parameters) in the .ac file, But the result is the same as before: no connections with the cockpit.
At least I've tried another way and, finally, the problem was solved: I changed the plugins, using their previous version (v.3.1-r1). With them, the original .ac file (as it was originally) is exported properly and works fine once in XP.
Don't you think that the problem resides in the 3.2.1-r2 plugins? I'm curious about.
Thanks
Paolo
Old 10th April 2011, 05:50 AM   #4
captainpeter
Professional user

I'm using 3.2.1-r2 as well, (MacIntel, AC3D 6.7.15).
Your ac file actually exports nicely here (after pointing a few objects to the included texture).

Animated parts do move when viewed in Ben's little ObjView app.
I didn't test it in x-plane yet (will do tonight) but it looks quite allright.

Here's my exported obj file with my XP plugins + dataref files from the latest XP release:
https://files.me.com/pmeininger/tik1ik

I'm unsure if the plugins I use are downloaded or if I compiled them myself from source.
I can only check that later today. You may want to try them out to see if they fix your issue.

P.S. I wasn't aware that one can add text to the Animation folders name. One never learns out....

cheers
Peter
Old 14th April 2011, 11:13 AM   #5
Paolo
Expert member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpeter View Post
I'm using 3.2.1-r2 as well, (MacIntel, AC3D 6.7.15).
Your ac file actually exports nicely here (after pointing a few objects to the included texture).

Animated parts do move when viewed in Ben's little ObjView app.
I didn't test it in x-plane yet (will do tonight) but it looks quite allright.

Here's my exported obj file with my XP plugins + dataref files from the latest XP release:
https://files.me.com/pmeininger/tik1ik

I'm unsure if the plugins I use are downloaded or if I compiled them myself from source.
I can only check that later today. You may want to try them out to see if they fix your issue.

P.S. I wasn't aware that one can add text to the Animation folders name. One never learns out....

cheers
Peter
Ciao Peter,
sorry for the delay but I've been out of Roma for some days. I've tested your obj file with your plugins and dataref, it works on XP. But the main problem is still there: the exported .ac file using your plugins and dataref) is totally inactive on XP. Truly I don't know what to think.
Paolo
Old 15th April 2011, 06:57 AM   #6
captainpeter
Professional user

So you're saying that the obj I exported from your ac file works but you can not replicate it on your computer?

Could you try the following:
Open your 'cockpitinn13.ac' file and then choose 'Update Workspace from old plugin' in the x-plane menu of AC3D. Then save the ac file.

Now try again. (I did this for good measure before exporting the obj since I noticed an early 2010 modification date of the ac file).

let me know....

cheers
Peter