Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th October 2003, 05:03 AM   #1
PeteyPixel

Default AC3D VS Silo3D

I know some people have heard of Silo3D as a low end modelling solution for 3D artists. I have tried it and found AC3D to be much more stable. If you want to see why I rave so much about AC3D's boolean functions, try making a boolean operation in Silo3D and watch as your computer crashes before your eyes. Good points for Silo are the extrude object along path function, something AC3D must have for game development. It would make corridor and elongated path design much easier. Also the split edge function where you can cut a hole in a face by drawing a line in whatever shape you want, then you can extrude the shape from the face. That would be useful for creating the shoulder to arm joints for organic models. One more thing could be a "put on" function as seen in Wings3D where you select a face and can place an object on it. That would be great for the layout of objects for game level design. Besides that I can't see how it can get any better. I know a new version is coming soon adressing the texturing system. All that and any other new tricks would probably make AC3D the end all solution for indy game design. No need to shell out the big bucks for GameSpace which I find to have an atrocious workflow. Sorry for the big post but I'm just buggin out on this software. Peace
PeteyPixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2003, 08:01 AM   #2
Cowboybebop
Professional user

Default Re: AC3D VS Silo3D

Gamespace people will lie to your face, on the forums their was a thread about features. And a few people asked about some of the functions and was certain bugs fixed. And they dance around the issues not giving the people a straight answer, that set off a warning in my head. Second I went into the forums asking for a certain 3d model format support and they said 'I will not program support for that when maybe 2 or three people have legal use for it' insinuating I didn't have a legal use for it. So I had been in talks with andy at the time and we were chatting back and forth and then AC3d became mine

Also Andy always tells you EXACTLY how things are with AC3d, let's you know what he has planned and excutes that Planned implementation almost flawlessly. Yet still finds time to talk to us, and help us with our issues. That simply makes a AC3D even harder to beat.
Cowboybebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2003, 12:12 PM   #3
-WOODY-
Professional user

Default Re: AC3D VS Silo3D

Yep, I agree with the above stated statement.
There are tons of modelers out there and I've tried MANY of them, even Blender which has more of a learning curve than 3DS Max ( Which runs between 3 to 4,000 bucks retail ).
Each one has it's strengths and weaknesses so I found myself hopping from one to another. As far as a good all around modeler, AC3D is by far the best one.
-WOODY- is offline   Reply With Quote