Go Back   AC3D Forums > Resources > AC3D Tutorials and How-To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd June 2013, 02:55 PM   #1
Glen
Expert member

Default Creating Armour for Poser and Eventually 3D Printing

Hello everyone,

Right, so I've got in my mind a very specific design for a set of modern looking armour, much like the kind of thing you'd find here. To start with, I'd like to use it in Poser to create some cool renders and possibly animations, just to whet my appetite until I can afford to buy a 3D printer/rapid prototyping machine. I know that models need certain things in order to work for 3D printers, but what do they need and what's the best workflow to use when creating them? I also need to keep polycount and the distance between surfaces in mind, due to me wanting to use it all in Poser.

I've never undertaken anything like this before; the most I've ever been able to build is a very scrappy building, all square objects or circles that I've extruded along a path, for example. Anything 'round' or 'curvy' I've always been lost with. I just watched Bernhard Wymann's tutorial on creating a stock car for TORCS and it's inspired me to put this project into motion, but I've never done most of what he does there, so it'll be a lot like learning a whole new piece of software, lol!

Let's say, for example, I'm going to start with the hand armour; a very intricate part of it... I think things I'll need to know first and foremost are how to build the mesh of the individual finger pieces and how to have them able to articulate perfectly at the knuckles in Poser, whilst keeping small objects that hold the whole thing together separate so that I'll be able to print them easily later on.

I'll be using the M4 figure as a base, possibly morphed to my own full body shape, but remaining in the default position. Should I fabricate the entire armour around this figure, renders of it or just fabricate the parts around parts of the figure or separate renders? So, would I load the whole 3D model of M4 and work over that, take renders of the front, back, left, right, top and bottom and make a box with those renders on the insides to use as templates or would I load the hand separately and model that or do the same with the renders, only limit it to the hands, or what ever I'm working on at the time? How's best to do it? Maybe I should do it all piece by piece and assemble it around the figure mesh... I don't know.

I need a good workflow and some good tips for getting this off the ground. No end of ambitious projects of mine have fallen flat on their faces and been scrapped and I don't want this to be one of them.

Many thanks all!

Glen.
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2013, 01:59 PM   #2
Glen
Expert member

Default Re: Creating Armour for Poser and Eventually 3D Printing

Does anyone come on here any more? :-(
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote