Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 20th April 2004, 03:28 PM   #1
gonnaedomeafavour

Default Can't import .pf file... landscape question.

Since people are blatantly ignoring my calls for help in other threads, I'll start a new one. I've downloaded data from a website, the .pf plugin for large landscapes and combined the row and column data with the .bin data on the landscape to give a .pf file of the model. WHen I go to import it, I'm told "not enough storage is available to process this command".

I also get "Importing VRML1 file failed" when trying to import a VRML file.. I have a feeling ti's VRML2 though. Anyway I can get that in?

This is probably all explained in the "Landscape Tutorial" page that the guy brilliantly hosted on his page instead of the forums so is now down a month or two later.

Any help is appreciated... really starting to annoy me since it seems to be just making up errors now.
gonnaedomeafavour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2004, 03:33 PM   #2
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Default Re: Can't import .pf file... landscape question.

the name .bin on a file implies that the file may not be ascii text. Are you sure the file is a text file?

AC3D doesn't yet have the ability to load VRML2.

Does the author of the tutorial still have the files OR did anyone save the pages?

Andy
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2004, 03:36 PM   #3
gonnaedomeafavour

http://ac3d.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=287

Can I ask what he meant by look at the ASCII files then?

edit - n/m, trying it now..
Old 20th April 2004, 03:38 PM   #4
LiveWire
Professional user

you know thats funny cause i was trying to make a plugin, and i was getting the exact same error.....hmmmmm
it might be because its to big of a file or somthing, thats all i can think of.
:?
LiveWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2004, 03:44 PM   #5
gonnaedomeafavour

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonnaedomeafavour
http://ac3d.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=287

Can I ask what he meant by look at the ASCII files then?

edit - n/m, trying it now..
Okay I downloaded ASCII versions but what do you mean put the column and row values above the data itself? I tried both the accompanying files and then each one itself and got the same errors.

I'm referring to this post by you
"I just tried that web site and if you take the ascii data and add the the rows and columns numbers to the top of a file, it will load into AC3D as a .pf file. "
Old 30th April 2004, 08:39 PM   #6
Bob Pieterson

Take the .dat file. That is the important one with the ASCII-data. You only need the other files for reference to the number of rows and colums

Open the .dat file and try to read through the values. (Maybe you can recognise the data and imagine where you are on the map).

Make a new line at the top of the .dat file and enter the number of rows and colums on that new line. (I place them so that they are in line with the other data below them). I don't remember whether the rows or the colums come first on the new line. Try for your self.

Save the new file as a .pf file. Keep the .dat file as a backup.

Import the .pf file in AC3D.

In AC3D you can resize the file until the points are at a distance they represent on the map. I resize GLOBE-data until the points are horizontally 500 mtr and vertically 833 mtr apart.

The data are not optimized in any way. Maybe someone could tell me whether this is possible with a few tricks. A square and flat plain could be represented by the four corners and the one surface. That is all. Not the many points and surfaces that are used now.
Bob Pieterson is offline   Reply With Quote