Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th September 2008, 06:45 AM   #1
proximulator

Default straightening lines where two points connect?

Hello,

Red marked regions are formed by joining two point together (with snap together Ctrl+T). Other points work fine, but these two - somehow shows some curvy lines.

Smoothing shape for that particular area doesnt give any result - even worth - it makes the curves bigger. Moving the points themselves also doesnt give a better result lines still stay curved.

Could someone help to understand, why is that so and how can i fix these two red marked points so they are forming the straight lines like you can see above or below the problematic areas?

EDIT: One thing i've just tried is - Object -> Optimize Vertices, it removed 13 vertices and now the lines are straight as they should. The questions: Is this operation safe for further exporte to SecondLife? After this operation i see that two merged points became as one.

Thank you in advance

Last edited by proximulator; 11th September 2008 at 07:03 AM.
proximulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 10:29 AM   #2
Kireyo
Expert member

Default Re: straightening lines where two points connect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by proximulator View Post
EDIT: One thing i've just tried is - Object -> Optimize Vertices, it removed 13 vertices and now the lines are straight as they should. The questions: Is this operation safe for further exporte to SecondLife? After this operation i see that two merged points became as one.
Only the TCE can answer that, check the UV map for gaps, if not, it should be OK.
Kireyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 12:36 PM   #3
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

I'd press 'd' to view the model non-subdivided - you might see an obvious problem.

Also, check the normals, it looks like one side is shaded differently to the other - press 'n' to toggle the pink lines on/off.

You may have some vertices close to each other but not exactly aligned - use menu Vertex->snap-togehter-by-distance to move them together before Object->Optimize-vertices to remove duplicates.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 05:12 PM   #4
proximulator

TCE is okay - no gaps.
Pressing "d" and "n" gives the following picture:

What exactly should be "snapped by distance"?
Two problematic points in the picture are actually two points each snapped togather with CTRL + T

Since I didnt understand what exactly needs to be snapped together by distance , I tried two things:

1) selecting each problematic "two point" and "snapping by distance" doesnt give any changes at all;

2) snapping both "two points" togather by "snapping by distance" also doesnt give any change;

Last edited by proximulator; 12th September 2008 at 05:17 PM.
proximulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 06:07 PM   #5
lisa
Professional user

Snap by distance snaps point if and only if they are within the specified distance. i.e. If you enter 1.0 in the box, two points that are only .2 apart will be snapped, but two points that are 1.5 apart will be ignored. Snapping by a very small distance such as .001 and then optimizing is a common trick to get rid of vertices that are really should be the same but are not because of the limits of numerical precision.

As far as whether or not this is safe with sculpties, it depends on your map. If optimizing does not change the map, then it's okay to optimize.
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2008, 02:36 AM   #6
virtualalias
Expert member

I often get vertices that end up like that, but it's usually at the 'pinch point' of a sub-divided cube.

In my personal experience, optimize vertices is a major gamble with sculpties. I've never had a sculpt import correctly if I've optimized the vertices.