Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st October 2009, 05:10 PM   #1
wegnif

Default Hierarchical Groups ?

I wanted to have sub-groups of groups for posing purposes. The first group works as expected; in group selection mode, you can choose it and it is highlighted in the hierarchy view.

If you then create another group, and place it under the first group, you cannot select the second group! Any attempt to select any member of the sub-group, or the group itself, results in a selection of the parent group.

Is there any workaround for this? Choosing the group in object mode selects its members, but not the group itself, which does not help with rotation.
wegnif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2009, 07:20 PM   #2
lisa
Professional user

Default Re: Hierarchical Groups ?

I don't know a workaround for selecting sub-groups, but a workaround for the rotations is to create a placeholder object where you want the group center to be. In object mode, AC3D will treat the first object in the selection set as the center if you checkbox "use obj center" on your rotations.
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2009, 09:39 AM   #3
wegnif

Lisa,

That does work, but you have to select the objects in the correct order. If you click the group in the hierarchy view (in object mode), it selects the objects of the group, but not necessarily in the hierarchy order, so you can get a different result. Frustrating.
Old 2nd October 2009, 09:45 AM   #4
wegnif

Lisa,

Another problem: using your pivot plugin, the numerical rotation dialog "Rotate Object Around Pivot Point" complains if multiple objects are selected.
Old 6th October 2009, 05:42 PM   #5
lisa
Professional user

Ah, yes, same problem in the plugin. Which object is "first"?

Although now that you mention it, I'm not sure if I could get the center of a group or not, but I suspect I could. Although, that would only help with top-level groups since there's no way to select a sub-group in group mode. In object mode, I just get a list of objects... but I suppose it may be possible to query the object and find out if it's parent is a group if there are multiple objects selected?
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 12:43 PM   #6
wegnif

Lisa,

Your plugin works fine when the group is selected.

My workaround for this problem was to bring all the groups down to the base level. Since the first rotation is around a known location (the origin), I can rotate the base group and the first child group both around the origin the same amount. But if the model was more complex this technique would not work.

It is my belief that the feature that the group selection mode cannot be used to select a subgroup of a group is a bug. I wanted to see if anyone agreed with me before I posted something to the bug forum.