Go Back   AC3D Forums > Resources > AC3D Plugins and Other Resources
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th July 2006, 07:52 AM   #1
acemed

Default Layers Plugin addition request

One of the AC3D plugins I use most is Layers. It is extremely handy for organising complex models.
For example, I am modelling a steam locomotive at present and I have the boiler, undercarriage, wheels and cabin structure in separate layers. I wonder if it would be easily possible to alter the plugin to allow for each separate layer to be named, rather than numbered?
This would make it much easier to remember what objects are stored on each layer.
Many thanks to the designer of this plugin!!
acemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2006, 02:02 PM   #2
Dennis
Professional user

Default Re: Layers Plugin addition request

Thanks for the kind word on the Layers plugin.

Unfortunately, I've abandoned development on this plugin because of the new AC3D version 6 Hierarchy tool. When your geometry is properly grouped, the new Hierarchy does everything the Layers plugin does and more, not to mention that it does it more elegantly, so I've been using it instead.

The only advice I could offer is to either move to version 6, or find someone brave enough to take a stab at the source code to add labeling. If it were a trivial change, I'd do it, but I'm afraid it would take more time than I have right now to make the update...

Good luck,

Dennis
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2006, 06:18 AM   #3
acemed

Default Re: Layers Plugin addition request

Dennis
Thanks for the reply. I have version 6 but I haven't explored the Heirarchy tool much. Guess I'm used to thinking in layers as I often use 2D painting software. Will give the Heirarchy tool a go.
Thanks again!
acemed is offline   Reply With Quote