Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D Work In Progress / Showcase
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 28th July 2011, 06:56 AM   #1
oui
Expert member

Smile Airbus A340-300 Airliner(Almost Finished)

hey im making an airbus A340-300, i just fished the engine and the engine is detailed, it contains the inner organs of the CFM-56, and thrust reverser cutouts, im going to make passenger window and door cut outs, as well as the flaps ailerons speed brakes etc cutouts and then makie the tail/rudder, fin/elevator, landing gears(and landing gear doors and bays) if the model looks okay ill need someone to animate it and then export it to x-plane for flying...:mrgreen:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	777 WIP.png
Views:	356
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	2341  

Last edited by oui; 31st August 2011 at 12:14 PM.
oui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 07:08 PM   #2
Clay
Professional user

Default Re: Airbus A340-300

Looking really great! I look forward to seeing more of the work.
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2011, 02:55 AM   #3
oui
Expert member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
Looking really great! I look forward to seeing more of the work.
thanks, i just finished the aircraft-with out passenger windows and door cutouts-total poly count-76,124! and without landing gears-71,962 polys!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A340 complete simple poster.png
Views:	318
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	2343  

Name:	a340 complete(no LG).png
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	2344  

Attached Images

Old 29th July 2011, 03:45 AM   #4
lsfreak

please teach me
lsfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2011, 04:41 AM   #5
oui
Expert member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsfreak View Post
please teach me
how can i teach you? but first you need to make the basics first-such as making the fuselarge, wing, tail fin etc... before going in to eye candy details!...
Old 29th July 2011, 05:11 AM   #6
oui
Expert member

i have a old model of an airbus a340-its the first model i made and i have quite low expierience with 3D modelling, i dont know how to make more segments for the cylinder part, and i always used the default 12 segment cylinder, so its low poly for everything, the whole plane is blocky... as i model planes more, my skills got better and i can make detailed planes, i can make detailed planes in one day, but i made this in three days because im getting bored with 3d modelling and started to take my time in to this kind of thing... so here is a comparison between the new model and the old model-the old model has a boolean cockpit window cutout and the new one has a knife cutout cockpit window... thus see the difference between the two models!

old model-first picture
new model-second picture
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	a340 old model.png
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	2346  

Name:	a340 new model.png
Views:	317
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	2347  

Old 29th July 2011, 06:10 AM   #7
oui
Expert member

just do some optimisation to the surfacrs and vertices and the poly/surface count relieves to 52 something surfaces! thus please rate my model too thx, and hope you like it, might make some passenger windows and doors(maybe not, or yes) since the poly or surface count would go up significantly...or is it better that i would just paint them? im thinking about making the cabin and interior...

Last edited by oui; 29th July 2011 at 06:26 AM.
Old 29th July 2011, 01:36 PM   #8
Stiglr
Professional user

From that vantage point, it looks pretty good. The engine detail also looks pretty good.

However, for your questions about whether to cut doors and passenger windows or to handle them with textures.... it depends on what your end goal is, and whether you have poly restrictions to consider. *Anyone* can get great looking results with a highly subdivided model with hundreds of thousands of polys... but low-poly modeling is an art born of the need for economy.

If the idea is to get the plane into X-Plane, a flight simulator, then you have some poly limits to consider, so that your jetliner doesn't create a "slide show" in the game. In that case, you'd likely want to handle the windows and doors with your texture, and with occlusion and bump mapping.

But, if the plane in the game will be "navigable" (the player can be the captain or a passenger who can sit in any of the seats), then it might be necessary to detail the windows (and the rest of the cabin).

My Gaming Rig:
i5 2500K Quad-Core CPU at 3.3GHz
MSI P67A-C43 mobo
4GB of PC12800 DDR3 memory
Windows 7
1GB Galaxy GeForce GTX550 Ti video card GeForce 270.61 drivers (4/2011)
Cougar joystick/throttle combo
CH Pedals
Stiglr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2011, 03:32 PM   #9
oui
Expert member

Okay but If i make low poly detailed cabin would it be okay? Check the 737NG for xplane it has a very detailed exterior, if i would do the same to my plane with low poly but detailed exterior its okay rite? Thus i just started on animation so i need tips from you, im going to fly back to Hong Kong where its more convienient to contact you
Old 29th July 2011, 03:41 PM   #10
Stiglr
Professional user

All that depends on the specs for your end product. Check within your X-Plane community for tips, if not some specific poly limits.

Simulators that I have experience with establish separate poly limits for exteriors and for interiors, all of that hinging on how the game operates (e.g., where is the player's point of view during game play, how close objects can be seen [whether in interior or exterior or chase view], whether a plane requires "level of detail" versions for viewing at distance). There are a lot of things to consider.

To answer your specific question, yes, it would be possible to "mix" low and high poly modeling for the exterior vs. the interior... but your decisions would likely still be limited by the same in-game performance issues.

My Gaming Rig:
i5 2500K Quad-Core CPU at 3.3GHz
MSI P67A-C43 mobo
4GB of PC12800 DDR3 memory
Windows 7
1GB Galaxy GeForce GTX550 Ti video card GeForce 270.61 drivers (4/2011)
Cougar joystick/throttle combo
CH Pedals
Stiglr is offline   Reply With Quote