Go Back   AC3D Forums > Resources > AC3D Tutorials and How-To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st November 2007, 06:55 AM   #1
larryfroot

Default importing paths and exporting for 3D printing

Hello...I am a newbie. In fact I am so much of a newbie I haven't even installed ac3d yet! Before I make the effort of another learning curve, I just wanted to check two things. Firstly can you import vector paths into ac3d from a vector illustration package like illustrator (windows) or Inkscape (linux)? If not are there any bezier and other path tools in ac3d (or a good plugin) that can be used to create highly decorative angular and cursive designs that can then be placed onto a surface so as to either emboss the path shape in, or to extrude the path shape out (but for it to still be a part of the model). Alot of this stuff will be in great detail, but I am assuming that is not an issue.

Secondly, can I export the finished model into a file type that a 3D printer can use?

Thanks for your help on this one! Much appreciated as I really would like to go with ac3d; it seems to be a good way of achieving what I need without purchasing a host of features that I will never use.
larryfroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2007, 01:56 PM   #2
lisa
Professional user

Default Re: importing paths and exporting for 3D printing

I import vectors from Corel Draw 12 into AC3D using either DXF or TTF as an exchange format.

AC3D does not support Beziers. It does have a "spline" tool which smooths a line, but you cannot alter the control nodes after the transform. Most people who are building curved surfaces directly in AC3D use a technique called subdivision surfaces instead. You can read a very detailed explanation here: http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20.../sharp_pfv.htm Or a shorter explanation here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subdivision_surface

As far as 3D printing, I think that depends on what file format your particular printer needs. Do you know what file formats it will import? Some people have used AC3D for making CNC models using Cut3D: http://www.inivis.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4236
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2007, 04:25 PM   #3
larryfroot

Default Re: importing paths and exporting for 3D printing

Thanks mate, that's ideal. The idea that ac3d would have beziers was as much wishful thinking as anything else, should vectors have not imported into it. As far as the printing goes, I will call the university of Plymouth up tomorrow and find out what their printer takes. I did know, but have forgotten. Duh. But I am sure that a third party utility can do a save as if it comes to it.

Well, it looks like I am going to plumb for ac3d. Wish me luck, and I promise not to be too dumb with my questions. Like 'Ive pressed F1 lots and lots and the man from the computer shop still hasn't come around'... groan...bit of an urban myth that one, but made me smile. Take care, hope to see around and thank you.
larryfroot is offline   Reply With Quote