Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 25th August 2012, 03:58 PM   #1
Shogun

Default Object flickers

Hello, i would be happy if somebody helps me by the following problem.
I like everything of AC3D but i got a problem if i export my object as an x-file and import it in the dark gdk engine. i guess this is a problem from AC3D and i try to explain:

i create an object, copy one surface, delete one of this 2 surfaces and put the copied surface onto the position where the surface was before. now i can stretch one side of this surface with ease. after that i mirrow this object and now i get the object that i want. A screenshot is attached. when i now scroll up and down in dark gdk the object flickers at some positions. i guess the surfaces that are not visible. i try everything since two weeks now but i couldnīt find a solution. Does anybody else know this problem and can help me?
See my attachment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	House.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	2729  

Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2012, 11:31 AM   #2
jayd
Expert member

Default Re: Object flickers

i was just wandering aimlessly through the forum and saw your post. First, I don't think its an AC3D issue as the build (the model) looks fine but it does look like you have a texturing issue--also, if the texture contains an alpha channel it might give you problems which is why i like all my textures to be .bmp.

Even though you have a repeat (continuously running texture) it does not look seamless. YOu might want to try to take your texture into photoshop or gimp and see if you can create it as a seamless texture then convert it to a .bmp file and then reapply. Don't know if it will work for you but it has worked for me in the past.

You can create seamless textures in photoshop (there are tuts online for that) or gimp has a create seamless feature under its filters. You can also use a free pc only product called texture lab which does a decent job--look for it as its free software.

Lastly, if its is the model itself causing the flicker--try checking the position of your axis-generally a flicker is caused by an object not being correctly aligned and two planes might be overlapping.

the only other thing is that it could be a glitch in the engine and in that case you might want to look about for a patch.

hope this helps and good luck.
jayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2012, 09:19 PM   #3
Noob
Advanced member

I've seen similar things in a lot of 3D engines when you have random meshes overlapping, I think it's a result of some form of LoD optimizaion.
Noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2012, 07:57 PM   #4
nzacl0

I had a similar issue when working in OpenGL. It ended up being due to the depth I was using (ZFAR was really large) and reducing that and rescaling my models worked for me.
nzacl0 is offline   Reply With Quote