Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th January 2004, 11:03 AM   #1
Rd27

Default How easy is AC3D?

I havenīt tried AC3D yet :shock:

I havenīt used 3d programs never (well tried Easymodel), but i have very much interest to them.
So my question is: Is AC3D good program for me? Is it difficult to learn?

As I said before, I have tried Easymodel ( http://www.jthesing.com/easymodel ) before. Has somebody tried it, is it easier than AC3D?

I would be happy, if somebody answers to my questions, thanks
Rd27
Rd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2004, 09:20 PM   #2
-WOODY-
Professional user

Default Re: How easy is AC3D?

Well I guess "easy" is a relative term depending on how much knowledge you have of modeling programs to begin with.
I have tried and use many different kinds of modeling programs and have found that AC3D is about the easiest to use with a low learning curve.
Each different program has it's own strengths and weaknesses, but for an all-around good program for ease of use, low learning curve, and functionality, AC3D is about the best I've come across. You can see some more of my latest creations that I've done with AC3D and Pov-Ray as soon as Andy puts the images up ( hehe ) just to show all the things you can do with it.
Old 8th January 2004, 08:42 AM   #3
Rd27

Does AC3D include rendering tools, or do I have to render images with some other program?
Rd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2004, 01:08 PM   #4
-WOODY-
Professional user

AC3D doesn't have it's own built-in renderer, but it can output to many different file types. I've tried to use Asis ( can't remember exact name ) which is a Renderman compliant renderer, but I couldn't find much documentation for it and you have to use a lot of command line options to get it to work which I know nothing about.
My favorite is Pov-Ray which AC3D can export to. It's an excellent free-ware renderer and is better documented and comes in an .exe file which sets itself up. You can render directly to Pov-Ray from within AC3D and you can do some pretty cool and realistic stuff with it.
The only way to know if this is something you would like to use or not is just by downloading the latest version and play around with it. If you like it, you can purchase a license for it. If not, then you don't have to buy it. It wont hurt anything to give it a shot.
Old 9th January 2004, 05:47 AM   #5
StuC
Advanced member

I can say without a shadow of a doubt that AC3D is the easiest 3D package I have ever used.

Being a programmer I dont have time (or talent) to use a 3D package - until AC3D - I think its greatest stength has to be its 3D view - and being able to click on surfaces/points and then manipulate them in the 2D views.

Feature rich,Fast and cheap what more can you ask ? ( well maybe animation )

Excellent stuff !