Go Back   AC3D Forums > Resources > AC3D Tutorials and How-To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 28th November 2007, 07:36 PM   #1
charlesrthompson

Default General Best Practices

Any existing baseline tutorials that may assist in the direct questions I have are welcome.

So far.. made pretty good progress for only a few hours of work.

I've hit a few oddities and am not sure of the best way to go about them and figured it's better to ask than tank the whole thing or learn something the wrong way.

For eyelids I created a slightly larger sphere than the eye and then using a clone of that larger sphere, cut out a section so it would serve as an upper eyelid. Rotating the sphere gives me many expression options.

The Pupils are my problem. I'm not sure of the best way to approach them. Right now they are just discs, but those don't lay flat on the eyeball surface. I was considering maybe punching it out and putting a black sphere inside of the eyeball. Is there a better way? Maybe one that would allow for possible pupil adjustments as well?

I think I've done fairly well on the body. When I merged the upper and lower sections though I got a little crunchy in the seam.

The wireframe shows a few missing points which obviously are causing this.

Was there a better way to create this besides the merge which would have avoided the missing points? What is the general method for filling in the lost data there?
charlesrthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2007, 04:39 PM   #2
lisa
Professional user

Default Re: General Best Practices

Typically, the pupil is built into the eye itself, and the entire eye is rotated. It's usually easiest to build them by pulling few points on the pole of the sphere. Here's a detailed tutorial on eyes. It's for Maya, but the steps are the same:
http://www.3dtotal.com/team/tutorial..._eyemod_01.asp

For your waistline, you can get rid of the seams by using the Vertex > Snap Together command to stitch the two halves. (Control-T is the shortcut for that one.) Select the two vertices you want to stitch, then press control-T. Looking at your wireframe, you may have to add a few extra verts to the lower half of the character. You can do this with Insert Vertex. When you're done stitching, click Object > Optimize Vertices to get rid of the duplicate vertices, and you should then have a smooth seam.

Merge simply combines two objects together; it doesn't change the geometry in any way. The Boolean operations on the Object menu can be used to combine geometry more in the way you suggest. However, the cleanest way build a shape is neither of these ways. I usually add geometry myself with the extrude tool. If I were building a character, for example, I might start with a 4x4 box for the chest and then extrude the bottom to form the waist, then again to make the pelvis, and so on.

You can find some general tutorials here:
http://www.inivis.com/tutorials.html
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote