Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 28th July 2003, 06:28 PM   #1
hubertking

Default Saving to AutoCAD LT 2002

Brand new to AC3D. Would like to be able to export my drwgs in AC3D to AutoCAD LT 2002. Have tried the dxf route, but ACLT 2002 isn't recognizing the format. Tried crossroads as a go between with the dxf format, was able to see the AC3D drwg., one time, but now getting a illegal page fault from my Windows 98 2nd edition program. Wasn't able to get ACLT 2002 to recognize the saved drwg from crossroads either. Is there something I can do to be able to do this?
hubertking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2003, 02:42 AM   #2
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Default Re: Saving to AutoCAD LT 2002

The dxf export plugin saves DXF format - have you tried loading this into AutoCAD?

Andy
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2003, 09:12 AM   #3
Thaellin
Professional user

From a feature comparison on Autodesk's site, it seems that AutoCAD LT is a 2D design and layout tool. It reports support for DWG and DWF, but no mention is made of DXF or other 3D formats.

In particular, the site lists an advantage of the full AutoCAD over LT:
"3D Design Capabilities—AutoCAD 2004 enables you to create, modify, render, and navigate 3D objects. AutoCAD LT 2004 does not."

I do not believe you will have any luck importing any 3D data format into AutoCAD LT.

-- Jeff
Thaellin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2003, 09:30 PM   #4
krobinson

I use AutoCAD LT 2000, so hope some of this advice is useful...

I've found that something is broken in the dxf export - AutoCAD LT throws raspberries every time I try to import a dxf created from AC3D. Not been a problem so far, since I'm always going from AutoCAD into AC3D to build the 3D model.

For 2D work, I've found that Illustrator 10 is more forgiving, and will read the dxf data that AC3D exports. I then re-save as dxf or dwg in Illustrator and read that into AutoCAD. (NOTE: I have to rotate the plan (XZ) view into the Front (XY) window in AC3D before exporting in order to see the plan view in Illustrator.)

For 3D work, I just tried reading the dxf created by AC3D using 3D Studio VIZ and it does work properly. Re-saving the resulting file as dxf allows AutoCAD LT to read it properly and display in 3D (in AutoCAD LT use View -> 3D Views -> SW Isometric). But if you don't have access to VIZ or another 3D package that really isn't going to help matters. Using the Illustrator trick above is not an option, since Illustrator throws away all of the 3D data in the model.

I don't have access to a full version of AutoCAD, so I don't know if the import problems are specific to LT or not.

btw AutoCAD LT is capable of displaying 3D models in dxf or dwg format, but lacks the tools needed to edit 3D geometry.

Keith
University of Calgary

robinsok@ucalgary.ca
krobinson is offline   Reply With Quote