Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th August 2020, 01:40 PM   #1
TVISARL

Default Back to AC3D

Hello, all !

I thought that perhaps my reasons for switching from AC3D to Blender and then back to AC3D might interest somebody.

In a former life I "used to use" AC3D quite a lot and I was known in this forum as thierry_st_malo.

Blender had a very attractive UI and boasted of very interesting features and in the end I switched from AC3D to Blender. And today Blender is really an excellent product. Problem : it has grown so much ( and is still growing ) that today it does "everything and the rest". And as a consequence it is now, in my opinion, painfully complex. For some particularly esoteric features I can't even understand what is spoken of ! As I create models with it I have to constantly battle with unwanted and tiresome features that I don't need, my objective being, as it always was, to produce good and satisfying models with a minimum of fuss.

And for this AC3D has really all that is required.

That's why I'm back here.
TVISARL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2020, 06:29 AM   #2
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Default Re: Back to AC3D

Welcome back!
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2020, 04:42 PM   #3
Ronster

Default Likewise myself

Hi
I used to use Ac3d years and years ago on a project called 'Open Fly' as the modeller for an open source flight sim. It was great and it made model making easy. I used to use TrueSpace as my primary software for modelling and rendering but AC3d was great as a dedicated modeller. It was a very early version Ac3d and had the software bought for me and in 1994/5 I thought it was brilliant and relatively easy to use. I currently use the new version to model scenery objects for X-plane.
Ron
Ronster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2020, 11:48 AM   #4
catmandolin

I thought that maybe it was just me. I I used blender a LONG time ago prior to 2.49 and got down the process and I was really proud of that fact. THEN a new blender came out and the UI was completely changed and I had to start over again. NOW with 2.8 and 2.9 I had to learn this stuff all over again. How many "agains" can one soul take? Don't get me wrong. I love blender but it does everything and I only model and I don't like cycles.
catmandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2020, 05:03 PM   #5
uffdaken
Advanced member

I have been wanting to learn Blender 2.8. I waited until 2.8 to came out. Even got a couple of books. Still plan on learning Blender, or at least try. But keep coming back to AC3D. Currently working on scenery objects for X-Plane 11.50 and later port it over to Trainz TRS 2019. I think that Blender might be of use after modelling in AC3D for TRS 2019 because of the texturing processes. But to me Blender seems to be gear more to character modelling, animation, movie making. I have tons of video tutorials for Blender, which is a plus. I am thinking about gradually making short (under 5 minutes) videos for AC3D, because I forget how to do some steps if I haven't used AC3D for awhile. Need to experiment with this. This shouldn't be much of a problem when I retire in a couple of weeks. Also started to make me my own manual (just the Help manual, but with added text and pictures).
uffdaken is offline   Reply With Quote