Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 30th June 2009, 05:21 AM   #1
Elliott Eldrich

Default Thoughts on AC3D for Second Life

I'm currently using a demo of AC3D to create architectural content for Second Life (TM Linden Labs), by using the ability to export "Second Life boxes". I'm very encouraged by what I see so far, but am also finding some serious limitations that should, IMHO, be addressed. Here's what I'd like to see in terms of enhancements to the "export Second Life Boxes" tool.

Basic enhancements:

1: Ability to export boxes placed at angles / with rotations.

2: Ability to export boxes that have taper and shear properties.

3: Ability to export boxes that have hollows.

Advanced enhancements:

1: Ability to export boxes with cut prim properties.

2: Ability to export spheres and cylinders, bonus points for adding prisms, tori, rings and tubes.

3: Ability for the user to set a built-in limit on size of prims created, so as to avoid accidently creating oversize prims that will not export properly.

I would suggest that perhaps the best way to achieve these goals would be to provide a basic set of "primitive elements" in the AC3D program designed to be used in this context.

This having been said, I am quite pleased with what I see so far. Building accurately in Second Life has proven to be a challenge, because of the way their so-called "grid" system works (or more accurately put, doesn't work). Errors in dimensions, placements and alignments creep into any building project no matter how careful you are. It's a very frustrating problem, and having AC3D as an option for creating content is a great thing.

I'm most likely going to go ahead and get a copy of AC3D once the trial period runs out, I'm very encouraged by the results I'm already getting. If I were reasonably convinced that the developers of AC3D were planning on addressing some of the issues I've described herein, then my decision would be a no-brainer.

Regards,
Elliott Eldrich
Elliott Eldrich is offline   Reply With Quote