Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 14th December 2004, 10:55 PM   #1
Seed_87

Default Textures

Hi! im really new to this, im 16! and got the latest version of Ac3d and so far like it wery much. I was wondering how could i use a texture that reflects? and, do you know a good source for textures? and another one: like gmes, can you "mipmap" textures or bumpmap textures in ac3d?

thanks a lot

alejandro

oooh and another thing. if i wanted to do a light bulb like this:

http://www.zyworld.com/_zyworld/img/...mages/bulb.jpg

how can i do it??

thankx
Seed_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2004, 11:53 PM   #2
Thaellin
Professional user

Hullo and welcome,

Reflections, shadows, and such are best accomplished using properties specific to your renderer. In a game, you need to know what the game expects to see in order to create a reflective surface (or you need to define what it should expect and then write your game engine to accomodate it).

A simple 'shininess' factor relating to how light is reflected can be found in the material properties for AC3D materials. You would change the specular color for the material and play with the shininess. This can give simple gloss or metal effects.

AC3D does not directly support mipmaps, and defining them is not really a function of the modeller. If you want a surface to be mipmapped, you need to determine how the game engine (or ray-tracer) requires this to be specified and then pass that information into the other program somehow.

The light bulb you show is a ray-traced image. To produce it, you need to create a light bulb model (and the surface it sits on) in AC3D, then play with the material and light properties in your ray-tracer file (i.e., POV-RAY). The pov-ray help files are rather technical, but extremely useful once deciphered.

None of this is particularly simple to accomplish (with any degree of polish) but you should be able to get some fairly okay results (worth playing with) with a little effort. Just create your model in AC3D and then experiment with materials in pov-ray (I think the tutorial section of this group offers suggestions for manipulating pov-ray material settings in AC3D object properties).

I'm more programmer than artist, but there are lots of people here that are willing to help out with specific questions you might have.

Good luck,
-- Jeff
Thaellin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2004, 10:22 PM   #3
Seed_87

Default Thank you!

Thankx for ur reply, im now going on vacation so ill be writing un january. Thanks for the replyy!

c ya, merry christmas!

alejandro
Old 16th December 2004, 10:15 PM   #4
Seed_87

Default Help agin!

How come when i draw 2 boxes one black and the other one gray and then alter the gray color (bottom right on the colors, left click and then edit material.) and change the transparency. when i see trough the gray/tranaparent box i cant see the black one when it sould be right after it. Like an eclipse where theres the camera in a stright line with the gray box in the middle and then the black box. while seeing trough the camera all i see is the gray transparent box and no black box after it, just the background

thank you![/img]
Old 16th December 2004, 10:37 PM   #5
LiveWire
Professional user

transperent objects must be drawn last.
select your transperent object(s) and goto Tools>Hierarchy veiw...
right click on the hightlighted object name, and select "move to tail"

--Philip
LiveWire is offline   Reply With Quote