Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 29th July 2007, 02:34 AM   #1
Cynic
Expert member

Default Texturing...

I'm reading Lisa's very good and concise tutorial on how texturing works but I'd like to ask her and/or anyone else the knows...the tex coord editor doesn't say (or maybe I haven't read that far into the manual), but how large are the tiles?

Last edited by Cynic; 30th July 2007 at 08:52 PM.
Cynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2007, 06:06 PM   #2
Wiggles
Expert member

Default Re: Texturing...

If your asking about the size of the texture map area, I'm not sure, but I think it's either 256x256 or 512x512.

I can't find where I seen the size of it.
Wiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2007, 06:03 PM   #3
tbd
Professional user

The textures have actually no limit in size. You can have 125x125 or 3000x3000 or bigger. even uneven sizes like 250x350. Only limitation is your computer. The bigger the texture, the more ram is used. You can also use multiple textures on one model. On my Diablo model I use 36pcs 512x512 textures.
tbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2007, 08:52 PM   #4
Cynic
Expert member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbd View Post
You can also use multiple textures on one model. On my Diablo model I use 36pcs 512x512 textures.
That goes against what I read in the manual, unless I'm misinterpreting:

Quote:
Each AC3D object can have one texture. A texture is set from the Object->Texture menu.

Each AC3D object can have one texture applied to
its surfaces.
Pg 48, AC3D manual.
Old 31st July 2007, 12:39 AM   #5
Wiggles
Expert member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynic View Post
That goes against what I read in the manual, unless I'm misinterpreting:

Pg 48, AC3D manual.

Each object. You can have multiple objects per model

Also how can you adjust the size of the texture map? When you unwrap a model your constrained to the area in that square, so wouldn't you need to make it bigger to have better quality textures?
Wiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2007, 12:47 AM   #6
Cynic
Expert member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggles View Post
Each object. You can have multiple objects per model
I've merged all objects. Perhaps I should not have???

It seemded proper because the parts on this particular model are unique to it.

In future designs, I intend something more modular.

Quote:
Also how can you adjust the size of the texture map? When you unwrap a model your constrained to the area in that square, so wouldn't you need to make it bigger to have better quality textures?
I think because it's U-V coordinates and measured in decimals going from 0-1 removes the constraints, making it more universal.

I'm thinking that if you change the model's shape/dimensions at all, you have to redo the tex coords.
Old 1st August 2007, 05:18 PM   #7
lisa
Professional user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggles View Post
All you have to do is make the actual bitmap larger. If you use a non-square texture, the texture coordinate editor will scale the boundary to reflect the aspect ratio of your bitmap.

Texture coordinates always run from 0.0 to 1.0. What they represent is a percentage of the bitmap, versus a specific pixel. i.e. a coordinate of .5 means "50% of the bitmap", so if your map was 256x256, that would be pixel 128. If your map was 600x600, it would be pixel 300.

Merging won't hurt anything, but it's often easier to work with if it's still in pieces. "Group mode" is a good alternative when you want to manipulate many parts as one without actually merging them.

You don't have to remap if you change the *dimensions* of the model, but if you change the *shape* of the model then you will [often] want to re-map the model. Otherwise you will have distortions in the map because the shape of the texture coordinates does not match the shape of the actual surface. There are exceptions to this, of course--sometimes you may intentionally have a UV map that does not match the shape of the model because it makes it easier to paint, or it avoids seams. This is especially true on "organic" models where small distortions in the map will be barely noticeable but seams are much more obvious.

Incidentally, while you can use any texture dimensions you like, I'd highly recommend sticking to square, powers-of-two. (i.e.64x64, 128x128,256x256,512x512, etc.) For real-time models this is a must, as many games and viewers will support nothing but, and even those that do support other dimensions will usually see a *significant* performance gain if you stick to desirable sizes. For pre-renders this isn't as important, but even then it does improve render times with some renderers.
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2007, 09:32 AM   #8
Waterford
Advanced member

Default Re: Texturing... Just my way

I use a 2400 by 2400, single .BMP file .... this is dictated to me because the ultimate end point of the work is an old game. I would prefer to use smaller, multiple .BMP's, but get into problems exporting to 3DS, (an interiem step i have for this particular game). I end up merging it into a single object. A long way around to say I use a large 2400 by 2400 texture. These are low poly game objects, (sportscars), about 2500 at most. It's an old game and the original cars are around 1000.
Waterford is offline   Reply With Quote