Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 16th December 2008, 03:52 AM   #1
asteronimo

Default Need help with slicing up model

this is a newbie question.

i would like to use ac3d to create 3d models which can be cut up into 2d slices that i can cut out from mdf or cardboard and glue together.

is there a script, plugin or menu option to cut 3d models into 2d slices with a user-defined thickness and distance between slices?

i'd be very grateful.

thanks in advance

- asteronimo
asteronimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2008, 03:39 PM   #2
lisa
Professional user

Default Re: Need help with slicing up model

My best recommendation would be to use a combo of the knife tool and the replicator.

You'll want the knife plugin from here versus the built-in knife, as this version of the knife will work with as a plane: http://supercoldmilk.com/ac3dplug/knife.html

Create a rectangle that is larger than the outer dimensions shape you want to slice. Highlight it, then from the Tools menu select Replicator. Set your number of copies and the distance apart in the Translation field. This will be your slices. Then click go.

AC3D should make a whole stack of rectangles. Click the knife option on the tools menu. Select one of the rectangles and click Set Knife. Make sure "Slice surfaces" and "Delete Knife" are checked. Then, highlight the object you want to cut and click Slice. Repeat this for each slice, and you'll have the object evenly sliced up.
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote