Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D Work In Progress / Showcase
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19th April 2014, 02:44 AM   #11
Robert

Default Re: Mono Scooter

Interesting to see the project expand with details. The extra effort spent smoothing parts is worth while. Quite handsome.

Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2014, 06:08 AM   #12
Globalempire

Hi Merlin

Like everyone else I am very impressed by your mono-scooter. I notice you used Bryce for lighting and texturing. One of the things that has put me off using AC3D much is the faffing about using Povray for applying textures and rendering.

I managed to download (950mb+) Bryce 7 pro yesterday for the princely sum of £4.90 so I thought I would trying using it with AC3D.

Obviously I will have to do a bit of reading about how to use Bryce but could you just give me a clue how you get your model to appear smooth in Bryce renders. I made the simple chair below in AC3D and the frame appears reasonably smooth while in AC3D but not once it has been imported into Bryce. I take it you export / import in .3ds format?

Any tips appreciated.

Paul
Attached Images

Globalempire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2014, 06:22 PM   #13
merlin
Professional user

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your comments. I do indeed use Bryce for all of my renders. To date I have not had any issues. I am not sure how you modelled your tubular chair support but whenever I make anything tubular I always subdivide it to ensure it is as smooth as possible. The monoscooter had a lot of subdivided parts - many of my models do. Before exporting to Bryce go to the 'Object' tab on the top toolbar, drop down to 'Commit Subdivision', and then export to Bryce. Depending on the size of the model or part I export in .3ds or if the piece is small and simple enough I use Wavefront OBJ.

There are smoothing tools in Bryce as well. Once you have imported your model, hit the E button linked to your model and a small screen pops open - Edit Mesh. Experiment with that and watch your imported model smooth out in front of your eyes.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote