Go Back   AC3D Forums > Resources > AC3D Tutorials and How-To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 18th May 2012, 11:01 AM   #1
Glen
Expert member

Default Terrain Texturing Woes...

Hello folks!

I've created a racing circuit in a program called Bob's Track Builder. I've had a number of problems with that program, which is why I've decided to export the basic terrain with very little else done to it and try and fix these problems in AC3D. I'm hoping I'll be able to conclude the project in AC, adding various buildings, trees and other details as I progress. However, at this moment in time, I'm struggling with the terrain textures.

I wonder if there is a way to take the terrain objects as a whole and create a single texture map for it? I'm not keen on the default textures from the track builder program and would like a lot more detail, as well as gravel traps and other marks in the grassy areas. I'm pretty sure there's no way to actually 'paint' directly onto a 3D mesh in AC, though I'd be interested to know if there is. For now though, I feel I'd have more joy importing one big, flat template into Photoshop and creating my own texture to place over the mesh as a whole.

One of the problems with the track builder program is that the terrain loses detail as it gets further away from the track, so it starts off as a nice, fine mesh, but rapidly decreases into very large faces which are awkward to work with. I'm really hoping I can get around these problems with a little help from here.

I'm having really big problems with the UV editor, not least that it will not fit on my screen, no matter what resolution I use and there is no scroll bar to scroll down to the lower portion of the window. I've tried exporting the UV map to the clipboard, but it's absolutely tiny; I need something that's at a decent resolution so that I can work with it in Photoshop. I've a feeling it's something to do with the black square in the UV window, but I've no idea how to change the scale of it so that it's useful.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thankyou!

Glen

[EDIT] I'm saying UV editor and, of course, I mean texture coordinate editor, lol! I'm sorry, my bad.

Last edited by Glen; 18th May 2012 at 11:07 AM.
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote