Go Back   AC3D Forums > Resources > AC3D Tutorials and How-To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th March 2008, 01:46 PM   #1
epaton

Default Confusion about materials in AC3D

The manual says you can click on an object, and the software will tell you the material # that is associated with that object. I can not find where this information is. I have to guess at the material number by clicking on the color boxes at the bottom of the window. I use materials with different transparencies, so I can not tell just by looking at the color. Also, is it possible to rename the materials, or delete materials that were previously added?
epaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2008, 04:20 PM   #2
lisa
Professional user

Default Re: Confusion about materials in AC3D

The material number shows in the status bar, but you have to be in Surface mode (a single model can have more than one material, which is why you have to be in surface mode). Click on a single surface, and you'll see the material information at the bottom center in the status area.

If you want to rename materials, you need to enable material naming in the Advanced tab of the settings dialog. This will make the name field available in the material editor dialog.

AFAIK, there's no way to delete materials, but I don't think unused materials are saved in the file itself... if you save the model, close AC3D, then reopen the model, I think only the materials actually in use in the model (plus the standard palette) will appear.

I don't know whether or not you can change the complete standard palette, but I know you can change at least the default material. You'll find the settings for that again in the Advanced tab of the Settings dialog, which you can open from the File menu.
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2008, 04:51 PM   #3
epaton

Default Re: Confusion about materials in AC3D

Excellent! Thank you!
epaton is offline   Reply With Quote