Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st June 2006, 04:11 PM   #1
Titus
Expert member

Question Truespace

Has anyone heard of truespace at Caligari.com?
I am downloading it right know and hope it is good.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2006, 12:54 PM   #2
captainj2410
Professional user

Default Re: Truespace

It's a higher-end price product which I'm in no position to compare with AC3D because of how little time I've spent with it. I would say that it's a little less user friendly.
captainj2410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2006, 01:59 PM   #3
Titus
Expert member

yeah i deleted it this morning because it super confusing
Old 22nd June 2006, 02:08 PM   #4
USSWINGER
Expert member

oh yeah, i saw truespace cost too much money .....
USSWINGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2006, 02:09 PM   #5
Titus
Expert member

well they have a free downloadable version for so long
Old 22nd June 2006, 04:30 PM   #6
Dennis
Professional user

trueSpace is actually among the less expensive software in its class, offering modeling, animation, rendering, and physics support in one package.

Speaking as a former trueSpace user, however, I had *many* headaches with it (version 6.6). It was a very unstable product --- crashes were the norm in trueSpace. And woe to those that did not save many versions of their scenes, because files got corrupted *very* easily and with seemingly complete randomness. I would save a scene, only to re-open the file later on to find that it would no longer open (would crash the entire app on open). Caligari obviously knew this issue existed, as the app defaults to saving backups along with your scene files.

Between corruptions and the continual crashing, I abandoned trueSpace after little more than a year of use. The few scenes I rendered were way more difficult than they should have been, and I compromised certain aspects of the scenes because I was trigger-shy to reposition things once they were set out of fear of crashes/corruptions. That's not acceptable.

I have not used the latest trueSpace version (version 7), so cannot comment on that.

There's really no comparison between an app like trueSpace and AC3D, since AC3D is a modeler and trueSpace is an all-in-one solution.

If you're looking for animation and rendering tool to complement AC3D, and aren't looking to spend a lot of money, Blender is certainly worth a try (costs nothing but your personal time to learn it). In my personal experience, Blender is an unfriendly modeler --- AC3D is much easier to use, and you don't need to learn tons of shortcut keys (with many keystrokes duplicated in different editing contexts). Some folk love the Blender modeler, of course, claiming that it's great once you get the feel for it. I spent a month with it and still didn't quite get the feel, so abandoned it as well. The animator/renderer seem to be a much better than the modeler from what I've seen, but I honestly haven't used them enough to say for sure.

Last time I checked, Blender offered native AC3D import/export.

One man's opinion, but I hope it helps.
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2006, 09:25 AM   #7
Hawk
Professional user

The main problem with Truespace is placing background images, I wrote several letters to get the problem resolved and it never was. This is a good thing to check when buying a 3d program, many have the capability but few allow resizing once it is in place. AC3D gives full control over a background image, meaning sizing, repositioning, etc.
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2006, 10:51 AM   #8
captainj2410
Professional user

Obviously truespace wasn't only not a great program, it doesn't seem to have very good customer service as well.
Old 23rd June 2006, 12:50 PM   #9
Globalempire

Never tried Truespace but I agree with whats been said about Blender. Great to have a free program but I don't think that interface is worth the effort. Blender gets a lot of coverage in the latest issue of 3D World magazine, plus there is a news item announcing v6 of AC3D.

Another program I have been using recently is Cybermotion (www.3d-designer.com). It costs about £84 and for the money you get a pretty good renderer with photon mapping and caustics, particles, landscape generator, bones, animation, forward and inverse kinematics etc. Only downside is the modelling tools are basic to put it mildly. I imagine it might make quite a good companion to AC3D actually.

Regards

Paul
Globalempire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2006, 02:34 PM   #10
captainj2410
Professional user

About how much is that in American dollars?