View Single Post
Old 4th October 2012, 01:05 PM   #16
Snow
Advanced member

Default Re: Disable Sorting in the Hierarchy Window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Not sure what you mean by 'removing surfaces' - which specific function affects the hierarchy?
Deleting surfaces. -- Edit --> Delete or backspace key.

Quote:
Functions like Duplicate could cause problems since it is possible to select and duplicate multiple objects/surfaces/vertices from all over the entire hierarchy at once. I feel that the main menu Cut/Copy and Paste function work as they should.
Here's a picture of the hierarchy of an imported cockpit object. Let's assume, I don't have the original AC3D file, but I want to customize the cockpit. Just duplicating a switch, move it a little bit and assign a new function.
As I don't have the original file, I imported the X-Plane object. All names are gone. Animation groups are simply named 'Animation'. The desired object is somewhere in the middle of the hierarchy. If duplicating is moving the new item to the top of the list, it's a real pain to get it where it has to be (for example because of the drawing order or a similar reason). It is impossible to drag something between two groups - it's always moved into one group - either the group above or the one below.

My suggestion is to insert the new object right above the originating object.
If several objects were duplicated, insert them above the one that was chosen first (that's already an established procedure in AC3D)

Quote:
A better solution may be to add popup menu items on the hierarchy for Paste - i.e. 'Paste-here'? Even then, the AC3D clipboard may contain a whole hierarchy of stuff. A popup 'Duplicate' that duplicates a single object from the hierarchy might be the best way to handle duplication?
I'm not a friend of the popup menus in the hierarchy window - they're working so horribly slow.