View Single Post
Old 28th May 2005, 01:29 PM   #7
Kai Backman

I just wanted to resurface this as I never managed to solve it. The real issue I'm having is for the AC3D user to be able to manipulate an object with just a position and an orientation (Quaternion or Matrix). In other modeling tools these are called NULL objects and they are abundant in games and simulations to mark mount points and similar for the engine.

NULL objects need AC3D support for manipulating the position and orientation. Usually they are displayed in the scene with three lines colored the same as the XYZ axis. In renderings they are invisible. Andy, I was looking at your light manipulation and you could grab that code, add rotation and have a decent null object. The object data field can be used for all the details.

This is a showstopper feature for me. AC3D is perfect for our current needs, and I've been sending practically all my modders here for almost three years. However, I've spent tens of hours and modders hundreds to work around this limitation. It's just a bit too much effort. But I can't do this with the SDK. This requires internal AC3D support.

All my hope rests with you Andy..