View Single Post
Old 27th May 2017, 06:48 AM   #1
lonewulf

Default once again: transparency

there have been a few threads on transparency, especially in the X-Plane section. I detected an issue that puzzles me a bit and which may or may not be one of the culprits why it is so difficult to apply semi-transparent textures (also in X-Plane).

Long story short: I created a simple object consisting of 4 independend faces. All set to flat, 2sided.Two of them are textured with a DDS texture including an alpha channel for the windows. As long as this alpha-channel is 100% black, everything works as expected. The oddities start as soon as there is some opacity applied by reducing alpha-channel black to (in this example) 80%.

As long as the "frontside" is at the bottom of the hierarchy, everything still looks ok.

Rotating the object by 180° and thus looking to the "backside" (being 2nd last in the hierarchy) makes the texture of the opposite side disappear.

I haven't found one single way to make this texture in question visible - no matter what tricks I tried to play. I seems to me that AC3D only allows semi-transparency on the lowest hierarchy level, while full transparency is possible on all levels.

Simple question: why?

Oskar
lonewulf is offline   Reply With Quote