View Single Post
Old 26th October 2006, 03:43 PM   #8
CGMike

Default Re: Best approach to low-poly house modeling?

To continue...
I just tried another approach to it and I can identify one area in particular that trips me up every time and stops me dead in my tracks.

Creating doorway that's "inset" from the rest of the house structure.

No matter how I approach it I run into this same problem.. that is, no matter how I get to the point of having the door frame, I have to extrude the door area into the house. What I end up with is the bottom face of the house still stretching to the edge, so I have an extrusion that's leaving a visible surface which shouldn't be there. I can't just delete it because then I'm deleting the entire bottom surface of the house which I don't want either.

Further, I've tried booleans (which I've read time and again are not the best way to model as they can create sloppy results with visual artifacts), and I'm not getting good results that way either. I'm trying to carve a rectangular box out of the house.. and no matter what combination I use, B-A or A-B, selecting "subtraction" as the operation to perform, nothing is being subtracted. I see a bunch of extra vertices being created, but where there should be a hole, there's still a solid surface.

So I dunno... the more I try to model a simple house, unsuccessfully, the more ridiculous I feel. It should *not* be this troublesome.
CGMike is offline   Reply With Quote