View Single Post
Old 6th May 2012, 08:05 PM   #8
jleslie
Expert member

Default Re: AC3D Texture mapping

I was afraid you were going to say that. so I have to basically make a 4 view of my
fuselage and paint it in PSP/ photoshop. as the body starts to curve around the
sides, I'll experience the warping, but as I change my view through the 4 views in
AC3D (front, right, back, left) I can use the next image of the 4 view, and as a
result its "head on" view will be straightened out. then I will have reduced the
warping problem to just the corners rather than the sides (45º angles vs the 90's)
and at half the warping values.

the mapping seems to just do a flat 2d mapping of the picture of the onto the
shapes of the conic section. That is why head on they are perfect, and the more
you move to the sides, the more warped they get; as the parallax view shows the
side panels of the conic section as getting narrower and narrower, the warping
gets more pronounced, to the point on the side where the entire panel is reduced to the edge on view of the picture---- all stretched out.

I think I made up my conic sections with 24 sides, Ideally I would have 24 views going round the model.

So what is gained by learning UV mapping? does AC3d do it? Or am I better off just going to paint shop pro and make up my 4 view of the model?

I'm thinking take a messed up paint job by AC3d, and then take snapshots of the 4 view, with the upper left hand window viewer, bring them into PSP, fix them up, and then make the 4view flattened image from those snapshots. keep repeating that process until things start to stop warping.
jleslie is offline   Reply With Quote