View Single Post
Old 2nd February 2006, 06:30 PM   #2
Dennis
Professional user

Default Re: Respected 3D Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrie
I've heard alot of talk on game forums about 'respected' 3D software and they give you the strong impression unless you use 3DS Max or Maya getting a job in a well known game company is not possible.
I don't know what game companies look for specifically (depends upon the company, I suppose), but there are certainly standards within a lot of companies that employ 3D artists that you should be versed in a certain software program(s). I would imagine this requirement sometimes exists because the company has deadlines or budgetary constraints that wouldn't accomodate hiring folks that needed to be trained to use their preferred software.

Of course, that being said, I would imagine that if your work in 3D Package A was very promising or exactly what they were looking for, they should be willing to give you the time to ramp up in 3D Package B, circumstances allowing...

Even further still, some larger companies/studios use their own proprietary software, so I imagine they'd be more interested in your raw ability versus your knowledge of a particular piece of software.

Just curious, as you dropped the word "design" here ---- were you looking for a design position, or an art position? If you're looking for a design position, it probably wouldn't matter much which packages you used, but I also understand design positions are a bit harder to come by
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote