View Single Post
Old 11th January 2009, 04:42 PM   #12
lisa
Professional user

Default Re: Defining surfaces and other new questions....

Anytime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
I have to admit, I'm not sure what the purpose is of the rest of the steps...are they required everytime I want to make a 2D curve?
Nah. I was just fooling around so you could get some ideas for later. Just the line and subdivide are required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
So to recap, to make my little Ice Cream Cone, I do the above and get it nice and rounded. I can even get it to look ideal in all views.
Then I add the bottom part, the V.
I select it all and add a surface to it, but no matter how I do that, it's always a point at the top.
I'm still not sure what could be causing that, all I can figure is there must be an extra surface in there hiding.

But here's how I'd do it:

- Draw a 3-point polyline to make the curve at the top of the cone.
- Extrude the polyline.
- Select the entire object and switch the surface mode from polyline to polygon and delete the extra front or back-facing surfaces.
- (Optional) If you want the cone to have a super-sharp point, select Object > Commit Subdivision. This will lock the subdivisions in place as they are, making them uneditable, but will allow the rest of the shape to be non-curved. Otherwise, if you don't want to commit subdivisions, you can still make the cone fairly pointy by adding a second set of vertices near the tip.
- In vertex mode, highlight the two vertices at the top edge of the curve and select Vertex > Extrude Edge. Drag the vertices down to make the point of the cone.
- Repeat using the bottom two vertices.
- (Optional) To weld the point of the cone, highlight the two vertices on the left and click Vertex > Snap Together. If you have a lot of vertices, you can also use "Snap Together by Distance" with an appropriate radius to do several at one time. Repeat for the right side. Then click Object > Optimize Vertices.

I also recorded two quick videos to illustrate better.

With committing subdivisions (super-sharp point, but non-editable):
http://www.independentdeveloper.com/...commitsubd.wmv

Without committing subdivisions (editable curves):
http://www.independentdeveloper.com/files/nocommit.wmv

Note: the closer you move the two points together at the tip, the sharper the curve. Also, it was completely sharp before I welded it, all depends on what you want to achieve.
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote