View Single Post
Old 2nd July 2007, 02:52 PM   #3
0xdeadbeef

Default Re: Suggestions / TGA Bug / RealFlight G3.x (KEX) support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa View Post
AC3D does have support for pivots; it's under the "Tools" menu as "Adjust Object Centres". You can also set your pivot as center of rotation, etc., on the Options menu.
Well, that's not quite the pivot functionality that e.g. 3DSMax/GMax provides and that is needed for RealFlight. As far as I can see, you can only set X/Y/Z to MIN/CENTER/MAX, while in 3DSMax, the Pivot is a fully 3dimensional vector.

Quote:
AC3D also has a Hierarchy view--again, under "Tools"--that you can use to group and setup relationships between the parts. I don't use the 3DS exporter much, and I haven't used RealFlight at all, but assuming it works the same way as some of the other plug-ins you can use the hierarchy to setup a simple rig.
I haven't really tried, but the hierarchy support looks sufficient for RealFlight.

Quote:
I have a few plug-ins that I've written which I've written that allow me to snap pivot points to a particular vertex, or copy pivots between objects. If you or anyone else thinks these would be useful, let me know and I'll see about posting them up.
As stated before, the pivots needes are 3d vectors, not points. Have a look here:
http://www.knifeedge.com/KEmax/tutorials.php

Quote:
?? I use 32-bit w\ alpha channel TGA files all the time. Again, I haven't used RealFlight, so I'm not sure how it works, but in most game engines the alpha channel is used for transparencies. i.e. You can see through any part that has alpha. AC3D follows the standard behavior of other engines. How does RealFlight work?
This is not really about RealFlight. Even if I load a TGA file via "Object->Texture->Load texture" and then use the texture coordinate editor, the colors are completely off:
http://home.arcor.de/0xdeadbeef/ac3d_tga.png

This is the same TGA in PatinShopPro and in AC3D. The alpha channel is completely "white" (opaque).

Quote:
AC3D depends on the hierarchy view for determining render order. Sometimes if you are using alpha channels and you haven't set up the hierarchy, the alpha channel will blend to the background instead of the object behind it, giving the image a blueish or grayish hue (assuming your background is the default gray). If you swap the order of the objects in the hierarchy, the objects will alpha blend correctly.
Well, this does not extend to the texture coordinate editor, does it? As shown above, the colors are off there as well.
0xdeadbeef is offline   Reply With Quote