View Single Post
Old 6th October 2007, 08:51 PM   #14
lisa
Professional user

Default Re: UVMAP Export & Live Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by luuckyy View Post
This has been asked for months (years ?) but strangely has never been implemented
I've considered it myself, but the problem is that you would need a Photoshop plug-in too.

Monitoring the disk for changes is easy (at least under Windows, don't know about Mac) but that only helps if you save the file. If you want it real-time without saving, you're going to need something in Photoshop to send an update... i.e. send the new texture data over the AC3D tcp\ip interface or the like.

A developer log-in to get the full Photoshop SDK is a $995, plus you need a license to the full version of Photoshop, which is another $649. So, you're talking nearly $2K before you've even gotten to write anything. Ouch. And then, what about all the people using Corel or other programs?

Personally, I'd much rather forgo Photoshop entirely and see "paint on model" implemented, like ZBrush. It is *much* more intuitive than 2D texturing can ever be, and virtually eliminates problems like seams. Moreover, I'm pretty confident it can be implemented without too much pain using decal projections the same way games do shadowmapping.
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote