Thread: AC3D Review
View Single Post
Old 27th July 2006, 10:43 AM   #9
Dennis
Professional user

Default Re: AC3D Review

Well, not to get caught up in semantics, but the original author did say he created the model in "minutes" --- "a few minutes" was added by other forum members . So it was definitely less than an hour.

However, I still believe that a person that has been modeling characters for a while can easily whip up a model like this in about 10-15 minutes. And by "a model like this", I mean a model with the elements that the original author posted, meaning no eyelids, no real ears, no lips, jaw, chin, etc, and with some vertex-pushing still to do.

I've only created a small number of characters in 3d, and was able to push together the model from the attached screenshot in just under 13 minutes. I'm certain that a more experienced modeler could easily get a better looking model in less time. I didn't finish the skull cap because my inexperience led me to arrange the polygons to form a squared face rather than the more naturally contoured one required for easy extrusion of a skull. but I think it gets the point across.

I actually recorded the creation of this face to an AVI, but the file weighs in at 200mb, so, if you're interested, I can try to edit/compress it to get it down to a manageable size and will post it for download. What the video really illustrates is that the technique for creating a character can be executed quickly, and using such techniques a more capable 3d modeler can create a 3d face in minutes.

Dennis
Attached Images

Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote