View Single Post
Old 2nd July 2007, 05:25 AM   #2
lisa
Professional user

Default Re: Suggestions / TGA Bug / RealFlight G3.x (KEX) support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0xdeadbeef View Post
- I didn't find any possibility to setup pivots, which are essential for RealFlight models since they are used to define the rotation axes for control surfaces. Did I overlook this or is this feature really not existing?
AC3D does have support for pivots; it's under the "Tools" menu as "Adjust Object Centres". You can also set your pivot as center of rotation, etc., on the Options menu. AC3D also has a Hierarchy view--again, under "Tools"--that you can use to group and setup relationships between the parts. I don't use the 3DS exporter much, and I haven't used RealFlight at all, but assuming it works the same way as some of the other plug-ins you can use the hierarchy to setup a simple rig.

I have a few plug-ins that I've written which I've written that allow me to snap pivot points to a particular vertex, or copy pivots between objects. If you or anyone else thinks these would be useful, let me know and I'll see about posting them up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0xdeadbeef View Post
- RealFlight uses uncompressed 24bit TGA images with an 8bit alpha channel for the textures. Unfortunately, the support for this images type seems to be somewhat flawed in AC3D. The whole texture has a blueish tint and the parts that should be black are transparent.
?? I use 32-bit w\ alpha channel TGA files all the time. Again, I haven't used RealFlight, so I'm not sure how it works, but in most game engines the alpha channel is used for transparencies. i.e. You can see through any part that has alpha. AC3D follows the standard behavior of other engines. How does RealFlight work?

AC3D depends on the hierarchy view for determining render order. Sometimes if you are using alpha channels and you haven't set up the hierarchy, the alpha channel will blend to the background instead of the object behind it, giving the image a blueish or grayish hue (assuming your background is the default gray). If you swap the order of the objects in the hierarchy, the objects will alpha blend correctly.
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote