View Single Post
Old 21st February 2020, 07:04 AM   #4
stitlown
Expert member

Default Re: Wavefront .obj import /export vertex order

A related issue. I have 3 virtually identical models (same #vertices and #faces, but stuff gets jiggled here and there so they not identical-identical unfortunately. They have been set up so there can be 3 different UV sets for the one model (to cope with different generations of DAZ models).

Number 2 exports with all but 4 vertices in the same order as number 1. But number 3 exports with almost every vertex in a different order to number 1. This creates an absolute mess when the UV set is loaded as the load assumes the same vertex order.

For Number 2 it's feasible for me to manually edit the .obj - swap the 4 vertices around and update the vertex references in the face definitions. But for Number 3, that is a monster tedious job. Is there any hint on why I'm getting such different vertex order outcomes, and what can be done to try and overcome it?

And a related question - is there any way to copy the UV definitions from one model and apply them to another model (same vertices and faces)?

Cheers, Lx
stitlown is offline   Reply With Quote