View Single Post
Old 6th April 2021, 12:41 PM   #2
humbug

Default Re: Exporting OBJ8 - Objects have different properties

Well, I've never made any scenery object, just aircraft, but I'll throw out some guesses in the hope that I stumble across something helpful. It could be that you know all this, so forgive me if I say something obvious. . .

1) Are you texturing with AC3D textures or using a [myobject].png file? If the latter, then you will get different colors and shininess from your object's NORMAL_METALNESS setting (or not if commented out with # or deleted from the obj8 header) and the _NML.png file.

2) I have found that AC3D's export code will sometimes (often?) insert a code in the object file such as "ATTR_shiny_rat 0.200000" which impacts how shiny a portion of the object is. This is essentially manually changing the "GLOBAL_specular 1.0" value in the obj8 header from 1.0 to 0.2 for those triangles. Maybe this impacts how the portion of your object reflects light in X-P?

To get at this, open your *.obj file in a text editor and scroll down to the end or simply search for "ATTR_shiny_rat" and see if there are any in there. If you find one, the easy way to remove this is to simply comment out that line with "#", save and see what happens. If it's fouled up, you can just go in and remove the "#" easily.

3) I'm not seeing from your picture what's happening. Is the center portion clear? If so, you need to select those surfaces and "flip normal" (CONTROL-SHIFT_N or under the Surface menu). Surfaces have a direction. You *can* select one surface (only) and run "Unify Normals" under the Surface menu, but that doesn't always work for me. Maybe it will in this case though . . .

Well, let us know if any of this helps or show another pic or two and we can go from there.

Best,
Steve
humbug is offline   Reply With Quote