View Single Post
Old 16th September 2014, 10:07 PM   #1
Glen
Expert member

Default Creating Game Models for gMotor 2 Engine (rFactor etc)

Hi folks,

I'm developing a track for rFactor and I'm having some problems with my buildings; they're not working ingame. I've been told it's related to 'polybombs', but I'm not too sure. I am, however, quite sure it's something to do with the meshes.

Right now, I'm in a 'clean slate' situation, as I lost my other projects from my old PC, so I'm wondering if anyone can advise or tutor me on creating VERY highly detailed buildings for this purpose, please?

My next step will be the pit garages and race control building, which are to be steel frame and concrete block constructions. I'm looking for bolt head and cable conduit levels of detail here; nothing can be overlooked.

Thesoftware I'm using to create the venue itself is called Bob's Track Builder and it uses a feature called 'string objects', which basically takes an object, or objects and puts them together into a string. The good part of this feature is that it includes optional morphs to make the object(s) follow splines and even the terrain mesh, making things like barriers and curbs a breeze, as all one needs to do is create one object, then string it along where it's needed. The pit garages will use this technique, so I'll be making two pairs of garages with a communal lobby between them and a set of stairs on one end, making the pattern 'garage, garage, lobby, garage, garage, stairs' and so on...

I made a reasonably highly detailed grain shed for a farming game years ago as my first project but didn't quite get it finished. I mention that because that's the kind of construction I'll be trying to create here. If I can find the screenshots I took, I'll post them, to give an idea.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Obviously, being game models, I'll need to remove faces that aren't seen and keep the polycount as low as physically possible but, as I said, the detailing must be huge.

Thanks,

Glen.
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote