View Single Post
Old 23rd March 2006, 04:03 AM   #14
Dennis
Professional user

AC3D has always been a modeler-only for as long as I've known. I've yet to find a better modeler in the same price range. And, yes, I'd rather pay for AC3D than use Blender and/or Wings for free, after having tried both. Nothing against them, AC3D is just far better at what it does.

Bear in mind, too, that once you throw animation and full rendering support in, you have a product in a whole different price range (by a margin of at least several hundred USD).

That being said, I agree that better material support in AC3D would be nice. Of course, I won't be removing AC3D from my system because it doesn't have better material support or a robust POV-Ray interface.

Perhaps you could take Perf's advice and post a model/example of what you're trying to do so someone could have a look?

Barring that, your other options are to either look into the POV-Ray docs on your own to diagnose your issue, or get another renderer. Why not give Blender a try for rendering? It even has native AC3D importers. I've found it to be a very cumbersome modeler, but perhaps it's more friendly in the animation/rendering department. There's certainly nothing wrong with using both apps --- I use several 3D apps in my workflow for most of my projects, and almost always start in AC3D for the base models.

Sorry to see you're so angry with ac3d. As mentioned, try posting some examples of *exactly* what's failing for you, and perhaps someone can lend a hand here.

Also, I don't believe I've seen where AC3D touts "full" support for POV-Ray, simply that it allows you to render with it --- I think there's an assumption there that you have to learn POV-Ray as well. But again, I'm sure someone here could still help if you can provide some specifics.

Dennis
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote