View Single Post
Old 7th February 2012, 12:22 PM   #7
Stiglr
Professional user

Default Re: How to use the poly line tool

You could get the visual effect of the x-supports on the door in a couple of ways...

1) You could do it all by texture (including bump mapping to enhance the 3D effect and shading)

2) You can do it in 3D in the model itself. This would involve indenting the door panels in the areas around the "X" shapes, as it actually is on the Hummer. I'd think that would be the way to go on this vehicle. Or for any passenger vehicle, no matter how "organic" and flowing the shape, you can create it faithfully in 3D, given enough visual sources and knowledge of the basic tools.

As for a "raised bead around the door", that's probably best done by having the door properly outlined in 3D, then "chamfering" that outer edge (using some combination of indent and bevel techniques) to achieve the effect. Well, not just the effect, you'd simply create the shape itself. The texture method would be an "effect"

The door outlines themselves are not very complicated shapes, and should be achievable using standard basic modeling principles. And as I said earlier, if you have an established 3D object for the body of that Hummer, you would CUT OUT, rather than DRAW ON, the doors. You simply isolate the doors from the body (even adding hinges, latches, sliding windows, whatever) and make them separate parts, just as they are in real life.

Are you working from a set of 4-views for the Hummer? A side view, a top view, a front view and a back view? For any vehicular object, these kinds of reference drawings should be readily available.

PM me if you'd like to learn more, especially if you have Skype. It's easier to share a screen in Skype and demonstrate these concepts rather than try to describe them.

My Gaming Rig:
i5 2500K Quad-Core CPU at 3.3GHz
MSI P67A-C43 mobo
4GB of PC12800 DDR3 memory
Windows 7
1GB Galaxy GeForce GTX550 Ti video card GeForce 270.61 drivers (4/2011)
Cougar joystick/throttle combo
CH Pedals
Stiglr is offline   Reply With Quote