View Single Post
Old 16th March 2015, 06:13 AM   #7
zog

Default Re: Market as a 3D Printer Model Creator

I have got OpenSCAD which is good and I have got AC3D. I bought AC3D for making models for computer games and it is great for that. I have now bought a 3D printer so the problem I have is that I need stuff to be exactly in the right place when I print it.
I designed a stamp for a solicitor yesterday using AC3D and then I printed it on my 3D printer. In this case it didn't matter that dimension weren't bob on. However if I need to design parts for machines I need everything to be as accurate as possible. I am also designing a case using openSCAD for the raspberry pi 2; AC3D isn't suited to this task because I can't go back and tweak my design mathematically if it goes wrong.
There is no reason why the actions that you are carrying out manually can't be recorded and turned into a macro and then played back to make the 3D object you are trying to make. Both ways of making 3D objects are good, but together they would turn AC3D into a very powerful cad program. I like ac3d because it's easy to use and very affordable compared to autodesk and auto cad. I don't really want to have to use two programs to do the same job. I don't know how feasible it would be to write a plugin to do this, but if it is possible I could give it a go.
zog is offline   Reply With Quote