View Single Post
Old 16th February 2008, 10:21 AM   #3
luuckyy
Professional user

Default Re: Hello & Questions

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpDog View Post
how do I create/apply a map that alters the way light interacts with a model (is that UV map? specular? bump?). And is that map blended with the regular texture or applied seperately?
You have to create a specular map indeed (an UV map is basically the 3D model projected on a 2D plan, a bump map is for creating ... bump effects).I've never done one myself, but I suppose you have to apply it seperately yes. You also have to find a rendering software / 3D engine that supports this kind of map.

Quote:
how would I go about making a blade on a sword, or any metal for that matter, appear like metal and shine
Choose a good seamless metallic texture, but if you really want your blade to shine, then apply a metallic material in a rendering software ...

Quote:
so should I just divide/add more surfaces if I want a hard edge after subdivision?
Enclose your edge between 2 other edges, the more you enclose it that way, the more hard that edge will stay.

Quote:
if I make anything I'd want to import into a game, should I stay away from subdivision?
It depends of your game specifications, but I would say "usually yes".

Quote:
when I close and reload a model, it doesn't have any texture and reapplying causes the default wrap-around.
That sould not happen. Maybe see if you have special characters in your textures path name. AFAIR AC3D is a bit touchy with that. Also check the console for infos if any.