Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19th January 2006, 10:38 AM   #1
jerrylynnb
Advanced member

Default Filling in a hole?

Maybe you can't do this? I have an object with a hole in it (like the letter "O" with thick lettering).
I would like to fill in this hole with triangles from the vertices on the edge (of the hole) to one or more new vertices within. Can this be done? I was thinking to just define one new vertex right in the middle and somehow get AC3D to create all the new triangles from the many edge vertices to this single new vertex, but I haven't seen how to do this. The option to "insert verex", where you can place a single new vertex along an existing line between to exiting vertices is not feasable because it would take so much time to do this for the many many vertices in question. I am stumped.
jerrylynnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2006, 12:09 PM   #2
Dennis
Professional user

A solution which will actually give you triangles as you described is to select the vertices comprising the hole, then perform a Vertex -> Extrude Edges, followed immediately by a Vertex -> Snap Together. Then go into Object mode and perform an Object -> Optimize Vertices.

Hope that helps

Dennis
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2006, 02:20 PM   #3
jerrylynnb
Advanced member

Default reversed normals?

Dennis, thanks. The only problem I have doing that is that some of the new trianglss have reversed normals (they are still one-sided, but the non-transparant side is the opposite of all the others). This makes the filled-in hole look like it has smaller holes within - I see when I tumble that these smaller holes are actually just reflective on the other side. The way I selected the vertices (before extruding edges) was to pick each one going in a clockwise direction. I wonder why it would do that. Could I anticipate the "normalcy" of the resulting surfaces somehow in my selection? I can go back and individually select each of the reversed tirangles and flip the normals, but, this is time-consuming. If I could get all the new triangles to have the same normalcy, then that would be better. Thanks for the tip on this, it works like a charm.
Old 19th January 2006, 02:29 PM   #4
jerrylynnb
Advanced member

Correction! It does work just fine - I had somehow been mis-selecting my vertices to be "edged" - I went back and very carefully selected the edge vertices, and it works flawlessly. Thanks a bunch.