Go Back   AC3D Forums > Resources > AC3D Tutorials and How-To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd July 2021, 06:28 AM   #1
Teed

Default Ordering vertices on an inclined line

Hello

I downloaded AC 3 D. I have had my first attempts.

* I would like to ask, how could I arrange the vertices of the structure so that they lie on one line?
There is no problem with this if it is a vertical / horizontal segment or only has two vertices. However, when the line deviates from the vertical or has more vertices… Do I have to move them manually, one by one?

* If I push the face out of the object, the original plane disappears. Can I keep it?

Greetings
Teed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2021, 04:55 PM   #2
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Default Re: Ordering vertices on an inclined line

Welcome Teed!

Select the vertices and squeeze the selection box down in one dimension. The vertices will all line up.

You could also use size-to (in the control panel) - press the < to read the current-size, then edit one of the sizes to 0 and press size-to.

Also consider switching on grid-snap to easily align vertices.

Sorry I don't understand the second question. It could be that you are seeing single sided surfaces? Select the surfaces and press "2S" on the surface-type control panel gadget (bottom left).

If you want to, for example, detach the top of a box, selecting the surface and then menu Surface->Cut-away-object will put that surface in a new object, which you can then move away.

Last edited by Andy; 2nd July 2021 at 04:58 PM.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2021, 11:15 AM   #3
Teed

Hello

I probably did not describe my problem accurately. I'm just starting my adventure with AC 3D...

A / I mean situations where the edge of my body has disordered vertices - they do not lie on one straight line. This is, for example, a ship's inclined stem. If it was perpendicular or parallel to the X axis, one stroke is enough with the frame. I know that. But the stem is at 50 degrees .

For now, I quickly (using a selection box ) set all the vertices parallel to the X axis, then click-rotate, click-rotate, click-rotate (in AC 3 D there is no protractor, I do not know how much I should rotate exactly, so I have to aim).

Am I doing the right thing? Or maybe there is a method similar to projecting onto a straight line?

B / I build a cylinder and extrude its front wall to the left (even 3-4 times). Do these surfaces have to be removed after this operation or can they remain?
For now, I get a cylinder empty inside, divided into segments.

I came up with the idea to press the button - Duplicate first, and then extrude the surface out.
It works. So it has to be ?

greetings
Old 3rd July 2021, 11:38 AM   #4
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

I think the rotate, squash, and rotate back again is probably the best method yes. Sorry, I can't think of an easier way. Interesting problem though.

With main extrude, it will only create new surfaces at the open edges of a selection.

Extruding edges (vertex menu) can be used on open edges e.g. after you select the vertices on the end of a open cylinder.
Old 4th July 2021, 04:32 PM   #5
Teed

Wink Re: Ordering vertices on an inclined line

Hello

Quick line alignment is very necessary. I don't think I appreciated the AC 3D capabilities though. That's why I sat in front of PC, strong coffee (at my age) was helpful.

There is a way. It runs in three, but quick phases:

Phase I - you choose an unevenly placed line segment (regardless of the number of vertices). You mark it with a selection box. You vigorously align it with the vertical Y or horizontal X axis. If necessary, you can separate the vertices accordingly.

Phase II - now you need to tilt the selection box a few degrees, it can be 5-10, from the vertical or horizontal.
Otherwise the patent will not work! It is best to lean it in the direction that the line will be sloped.

Phase III - if, for example, the selection box is slightly tilted to the right, you grab the upper-right corner of the selection box (adjacent to the vertex, then the + sign will appear) and move it to the nearest point on the right. Then you grab the lower-left corner of the selection box and move it to the beginning of the structure, to the vertex closest to the left.
Ready !

You can manipulate the entire selected segment in this way, lengthening it or shortening it, adjusting its length to your needs. Importantly - even if the line of vertices does not lie on one plane (for example X - Y) there is no problem. It is enough to look at it from above (key F 3) and set it as in Phase III (do not forget about the deviation - Phase II).

Quickly, efficiently and, what is important (see Phase I), in bulk. Without playing with projecting on the designated line, rotating points, aiming at the right angle, issuing five commands from the keyboard or (completely pointless) without laboriously moving the consecutive vertices with your hand.

greetings
Old 5th July 2021, 02:14 PM   #6
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Brilliant!

However, a vertex straighten function will be added for the next release
Old 7th July 2021, 11:48 AM   #7
Teed

Hello

I was wondering what you wrote. I'm not a programmer, I won't write lines of code. However, I have a picture of what I would like to see.

When you press a key such as „L”, a line should appear on the screen. It consists of 50-100 (?) vertices ( they don't necessarily have to be visible on the screen).

You set it where you need it, then click on your unordered line. Pressing „O” key ( the Order ) will be the command for the PC - bring each vertex to the closest one! And because there will be a lot of them on this template, each of them (with a slight deviation at most) will easily find the right place.

greetings
Old 7th July 2021, 03:29 PM   #8
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

This is what has been added. Select any number of vertices and the function will line them up between the first and last selected. The vertices will move to the nearest point on the 'line', they will not be equally spaced along the line.
Attached Images

Old 8th July 2021, 01:06 PM   #9
Teed

Hello

A great solution because it is simpler. You don't have to make any lines at all.

After all, it is already there - formed by the first and last vertex ... Until I am surprised that it did not occur to me.
The only thing left to ask is why such a simple solution was not introduced in earlier versions of AC 3 D? Program users did not ask about it?

greetings