Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 28th May 2020, 09:53 PM   #11
stitlown
Expert member

Default Re: Understanding materials?

The uninstall / reinstall did not change anything - but curiously, the program remained registered to me, which I wasn't expecting. I did the uninstall / clean up / reinstall twice, just to make sure.
stitlown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2020, 05:27 AM   #12
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

It's a mystery to me. Try removing the preferences file from your home directory (usually C:\users\<yournamehere>). Delete ac3dprefs8.txt.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2020, 07:07 AM   #13
stitlown
Expert member

Did that and reopened - no change (other than all my prefs set to the default). Were you suggesting delete preferences and then uninstal / reinstal?

Because I've reset prefs, where is the undo limit? could not see it but need it to be big. Thanks.
Old 29th May 2020, 09:19 AM   #14
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

I can't think of anything else to try. What graphics card have you got? In the past, I've found that AMD cards sometimes have buggy libraries released and benefit from rolling back a version. I've not seen this for a while though.

undo_levels can be changed by editing the prefs file with a text editor. Larger numbers require a lot more memory.
Old 29th May 2020, 10:07 AM   #15
stitlown
Expert member

Card is an NVIDA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB. The material colours were working fine not too long ago, maybe 3~4 weeks. Can't recall if I did an ungrade in that time.
Old 30th May 2020, 02:39 AM   #16
stitlown
Expert member

Question Re: Understanding materials?

... and just to confound us, it is now working again, without me doing anything I'm aware of.*

But now, per the screen shot, the colours are like an over-illuminated washed out pastel that makes it hard to distinguish between some materials. Any thoughts on that?

* I had to re-apply materials to the existing surfaces before the colours showed up outside of wire frame, so maybe the uninstall / reinstall worked but it was not evident until the materials were re-applied.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (395).jpg
Views:	29
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	3756  

Old 30th May 2020, 03:58 AM   #17
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

It looks like the material values, probably emission, are too hig, or perhaps some are set to zero..

The grey/white frame behind looks fine, and shaded correctly.

switch to surface-select mode. click on one of the bright surfaces, look at the material number at the bottom. Edit that material by right-clicking on the correct material button.

Did you import those objects from another file format?
Old 30th May 2020, 04:25 AM   #18
stitlown
Expert member

Emission was the issue - I'd tinkered the prefs file to 0.5. Now reverted. I've never been into "edit material" before so that's a good find for me. Is there a place to set default transparency? I haven't found it, in the GUI or in prefs. In AC3D tranparency 0 = visible. In Daz Studio transparency 0 = invisible. It's been a (very minor) bugbear that all I import into Sudio are invisible until I tinker their surfaces.

The objects in the screenshot are a mix of imported .objs (some originally made in AC3D) and AC3D primatives. The green, orange, yellow and red are primatives manipulated. The brown (looks pink) and the black (wheel tyres, looks light grey) are imports. The frame that looks OK was an import that never had a material set.

A quick "thank you, thank you, thank you" for the "export selected" function. Massively simplifies and makes less error prone my workflow.

Cheers. Lx

And maybe the problem in the first place was emissive too high. It seems to fully wash out all colours when set near 1.

Last edited by stitlown; 30th May 2020 at 05:00 AM. Reason: late thought