Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 5th December 2003, 11:05 AM   #11
DavkeG

Default Re: N00b needs Help on POVRAY

hi thanks for the reply
I'll be sure to try it next time.
Has anyone ever thought of making a list of the available colors in this way?
Otherwise I'll try to write down every color that happens to work when I try it
DavkeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2003, 11:39 AM   #12
marjorie_g

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavkeG
hi thanks for the reply
I'll be sure to try it next time.
Has anyone ever thought of making a list of the available colors in this way?
Otherwise I'll try to write down every color that happens to work when I try it
Sure :P

Yes, there are many colors in this way. And you can use and reuse them, for everything including lights. With POV you can customize your own, and even make different pigments out of colors.inc. You can also add them to the original file, but it is not 'safe', because sooner or leter, like Murphy's law, it will end up messed up. :-)

I have some old textures and pigments posted for downloading. However, I'm sure you'll find a lot over the net.

http://www.emediez.com/resouces.html

I enjoy creating my pigments and procedural textures. It is very easy with any color management tool. For this, check under resources, reference section, applications (right bar). Most of them are free to use,

Regards,
Marjorie
marjorie_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2003, 10:45 PM   #13
marjorie_g

Sorry for that typo.

It is
http://www.emediez.com/resources.html

Regards
Old 19th December 2003, 07:04 AM   #14
-WOODY-
Professional user

There's also a newbies guide for Pov-Ray in the resources section that may help a little ( still learning myself ).
One question though, does anyone know how to make a metal flake red color for Pov? I've tried everything, but no luck. I've even tried making my own color map using the checker patten and turbulance, but it wont allow me to use textures as my two colors. I tried using red and Polished_Chrome which I thought would work and even in Pov's help manual there's an example of using textures but when I tried it, it gave me a script error.
I thought, ok, I'll just create my own declares with the same settings as the textures and gave them differnet names, but it still wont work.
-WOODY- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2003, 11:20 AM   #15
marjorie_g

Long time since I don't work with POV, and it would be very useful to take a look at the code you're writing. However I'd venture to tell you:

- Use color_maps for your pigments. Try with those coming in the manual first, to experiment a bit with them.

- Take a closer look at normal and verify the value. Change it to see how it modifies the 'surface'.

- As far as I remember, use specular in the finish block, and follow some guidance -in the manual also-, some other components should be at zero.

- ambient and diffuse values are usually overlooked. Check them, they make a big difference sometimes.

-Regarding the code, which I have not seen-, check the syntax. You can use texture components (v. 3.5 ) alone or in a texture statement:

texture{
pigment {...}
normal {...}
finish {...}
}

Hope this helps.
PS. POVRay has many proprietary newsgroups, including one for new users and many tutorials. Please take a look at http://news.povray.org
Old 19th December 2003, 01:50 PM   #16
-WOODY-
Professional user

Thanks for your help and the link marjorie_g, I didn't even know that there was a Pov-Ray forum.
Unfortunately I don't have the original code to show you, but I'll go back and play around with my color maps again.
-WOODY- is offline   Reply With Quote